This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5578 / 51°33'27"N
Longitude: -0.1755 / 0°10'31"W
OS Eastings: 526575
OS Northings: 185897
OS Grid: TQ265858
Mapcode National: GBR D0.GG0
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.X32N
Entry Name: The Wells and Campden Baths and Wash Houses
Listing Date: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477335
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NE FLASK WALK
798-1/27/477 (North side)
The Wells and Campden Baths and Wash
Former baths and wash-houses. 1888. By Henry S Legg; converted
to housing c1985. Stock brick with tiled hipped roof having a
Flemish gable to the penultimate left hand bay and tall brick
slab chimney-stack with stepped brick cornice on left hand
return. 5 bays of 9 windows. 2 storeys. Right hand bay canted.
Round-arched entrance, in gabled bay, with hood on tall
brackets, fanlight with keystone and panelled door. Paired
cambered arch 2-pane sashes to left hand ground floor bay and
all of 1st floor. Ground floor with 2 and 3-light sashes
having stone lintels and mullions. Stone plaque inscribed "The
Wells and Campden Baths and Wash-houses 1888" at first floor
level beneath sill cornice. Carved coat of arms set within
INTERIORS: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was designed for the Wells and
Campden Charity, a major local landowner. An early surviving
baths building, it is significant and symbolic that a site was
chosen for it right by that of the original Chalybeate spring,
at the heart of an important group of listed buildings and
closing the view at the end of Flask Walk.
Listing NGR: TQ2657585897
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings