History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 2-12 and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Regent's Park, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5325 / 51°31'56"N

Longitude: -0.14 / 0°8'24"W

OS Eastings: 529110

OS Northings: 183147

OS Grid: TQ291831

Mapcode National: GBR D4.QT

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.JRB2

Entry Name: Numbers 2-12 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477539

Location: Camden, London, NW1

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Regent's Park

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


798-1/83/1151 (West side)
14/05/74 Nos.2-12 (Consecutive)
and attached railings


Terrace of 11 houses forming part of a crescent. 1821-32.
Built by I Bryant. For the Southampton Estate. End of terrace
houses, stucco with rusticated ground floors and 3rd floor
string; others yellow stock brick (No.4 painted) with
rusticated stucco ground floors and slate mansard roofs with
segmental headed dormers (No.4 square). Symmetrical terrace
with slightly projecting end bays (Nos 2 & 3 and 11 & 12).
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and basements; end houses, 4
storeys and basements. All with 2 windows each. Round-arched
ground floor openings; sashes of end houses in shallow
recesses. Most doorways with 3/4 Doric columns carrying
cornice-heads; fanlights (Nos 2, 3, 11 & 12 patterned) and
panelled doors. Recessed sashes; end houses architraved,
others with gauged brick flat arches. 1st floors with
continuous cast-iron balconies. End houses with parapets;
others with stucco blocking course, only No.5 retaining
INTERIORS: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with
tasselled spearhead finials to areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: from 1905 No.6 was the home of Walter
Sickert, painter & etcher. Sickert was prominent in both the
Camden Town and Fitzroy Groups of painters and the subsequent
London Group; during the 1890s he painted and sketched the
Bedford Music Hall in Camden.
(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood
(parish of St Pancras IV): London: -1952: 132).

Listing NGR: TQ2911083147

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.