This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5349 / 51°32'5"N
Longitude: -0.1302 / 0°7'48"W
OS Eastings: 529786
OS Northings: 183438
OS Grid: TQ297834
Mapcode National: GBR G3.YY
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.PPK5
Entry Name: Old Church of St Pancras
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113246
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477696
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2983SE PANCRAS ROAD
798-1/84/1267 (East side)
10/06/54 Old Church Of St Pancras
Church. C11 core with later medieval additions. Rebuilt and
enlarged 1847-8 by AD Gough and RL Roumieu who extended the
nave westwards. They destroyed the south porch and west tower,
replacing them with a new vestry on the north and the south
tower. Further restoration in 1871 and 1888 by AW Blomfield
who remodelled in 'Norman' style. Further restored c1925 and
in 1979-80 by Erith and Terry. Coarsed rubble with stone
dressings and flint east facade; pantiled and slated roofs.
Rectangular, aisleless plan.
EXTERIOR: nave with 5 windows plus 3 window C19 extension. 3
window chancel. Western porch with moulding carved in C19
Romanesque style, flanked by round-arched lancets with
hoodmoulds with labelstops forming strings at the angles and
continuing around the nave over similar windows. Continuous
sill string. Traceried oculus above the porch. North and south
elevations of extension with Lombard frieze at eaves level.
Chancel with some remains of Romanesque work in north and
south doorways and in part of a C13 lancet window;
square-headed east window of 4 segmental-arched lights, in
slightly projecting gabled bay. South tower in 3 stages:
setback buttresses flanking a round-arched lancet;
round-arched recess with clock above 2 arches to blind
arcading; half-timbered belfry with louvred panels and tiled
roof with projecting eaves.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to contain some C16-19
monuments and a C6 altar-stone.
HISTORICAL NOTE: by origin one of the very oldest churches in
London, though much rebuilt, after the building in 1822 of St
Pancras (New) Church, Upper Woburn Place (qv), the old church
became a chapel of ease but in 1863 was reinstated as a parish
(Survey of London: Vol. XIX, Old St Pancras and Kentish Town
(St Pancras II): London: -1938: 73-95; RCHME: London: Vol II,
West London: London: -1925: 88-89; Clarke B: Parish Churches
of London: London: -1966: 136-7).
Listing NGR: TQ2978683438
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings