This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4517 / 51°27'6"N
Longitude: -0.9816 / 0°58'53"W
OS Eastings: 470859
OS Northings: 173015
OS Grid: SU708730
Mapcode National: GBR QJH.L1
Mapcode Global: VHDWS.XSX0
Entry Name: Nos 154 to 160 (Even) and Railings to Street
Listing Date: 22 March 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113431
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38831
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: St Mark and All Saints, Reading
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Nos 154 to 160 (even)
and railings to street
SU 7073 12/41
SU 7072 13/41 22.3.57.
Former King's Arms Inn. A group of buildings with C18 fronts on 3 sides of
a court. 2 storey centre block, stucco with moulded cornice, parapet and mansard
slate roof with brick chimneys. 2 fluted conical lead rainwater heads. 11
windows on 1st floor, 6 on ground floor, glazing bar sashes mostly. 2 doors
with small Doric porches (No 156: columns replaced by plain uprights). 6 panel
doors. No 156 now half-glazed. No 158, upper 2 panels glazed. A further
side door to left with trellis porch.
Left hand wing (No 160): 2 storeys and attic. Stucco. Old tile roof, partly
mansard. End facing street has 2 storey bow with 3 cross glazed sash windows
and balcony to terrace in front of attic window. Arched door to right with
fanlight and reeded pilaster surround.
Right hand wing (no 154): Similar to No 160 (a later addition however) of
colour- washed brick with stone balustrade at 2nd floor level. Tarred tile
hipped mansard roof. Plate glass sash windows. Entered from left hand in
tented triangular headed porch. C18 spearhead rails with urns on standards
facing street, the gates have braced upper rail, dog-rails and box-panels standards.
Interior of No 154: late C18 staircase, the 1st floor bow window room is circa
1790s, has marble fireplace surround, some good cornices and fine doorcases
with Adam-type friezes.
Interior of No 158 very interesting with a good coved ceiling and panelled
room on the 1st floor and an C18 stair with turned balusters and straight string.
The building was an 'L' block (Nos 158 and 160) in 1734 and had developed by
1796, when it was occupied by 200 exiled French priests quartered in Reading, (1)
into its present plan with covered colonnades to north and west sides of the
court, the west side with a corridor above the colonnade.
(1) (Sources: Catholic Record Society Vol LXXXVI (1932)).
Listing NGR: SU7086273016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings