History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Obelisk Approximately 500 Metres South West of Appley Corner

A Grade II Listed Building in Campton and Chicksands, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0535 / 52°3'12"N

Longitude: -0.3906 / 0°23'26"W

OS Eastings: 510453

OS Northings: 240677

OS Grid: TL104406

Mapcode National: GBR H4K.B2C

Mapcode Global: VHFQP.5NW5

Entry Name: Obelisk Approximately 500 Metres South West of Appley Corner

Listing Date: 10 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37582

Location: Campton and Chicksands, Central Bedfordshire, MK45

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Campton and Chicksands

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Campton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Clophill

Listing Text

TL 1046 4068 CHICKSANDS CHICKSANDS WOOD

2/28 Obelisk approximately 500m
SW of Appley Corner

- II

Obelisk. Erected late C18 or early C19 by George Osborn, 4th Baronet of
Chicksands. Possibly designed by James Wyatt. Limestone. Stands about 3
metres high. Gothick style. Base consists of 3-stage square plinth, middle
stage with rock-faced rustication. Above this are tall corner piers with
pointed arched panel decoration, flanking panels with pointed heads and
moulded frames. From this rises a small obelisk with simple incised
decoration. C20 plaque on S elevation replaces original inscription to N
face:

"In memory of George Montague Dunk, Earl of Halifax, who in the reigns
of George the 2nd and 3rd successively held most of the great Offices of
State. When First Lord Commissioner of Trade and Plantations the
colonies and commerce of this country by his councils and influence were
strengthened, supported and extended. As Lord Lieutenant of the Land,
First Lord of the Admiralty, Secretary of State, Lord Keeper of the
Privy Seal, he discharged with distinguished abilities and integrity the
important trusts of each. He was Knight of the most polite Order of the
Garter, and on the 8th of June 1771 finished life thus spent in public
service. Affection must subscribe the grateful testimony how eminently
he possessed the private virtues of father, uncle, guardian, patron,
friend."

Dunk was brother-in-law of Danvers Osborn, 3rd Baronet of Chicksands.


Listing NGR: TL1045340677

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.