This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0119 / 52°0'42"N
Longitude: -0.5718 / 0°34'18"W
OS Eastings: 498119
OS Northings: 235789
OS Grid: SP981357
Mapcode National: GBR F22.S9B
Mapcode Global: VHFQS.1PLK
Entry Name: Old Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38372
Location: Ridgmont, Central Bedfordshire, MK43
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Ridgmont
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ridgmont
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 93 NE
6/75 Old Church of All Saints
Former parish church now redundant and a consolidated ruin. C12 to C19
Variety of local materials including limestone, clunch, large cobbles,
ironstone and cement rendered brickwork. Chancel nave, N aisle, N porch, W
tower. Chancel: C12 with later details. 2 bays. Original work in coursed
ironstone rubble and cobbles, with limestone quoins. E wall heightened in
brick and new window inserted 1820's. N wall has 2 small deeply splayed
windows high in wall, of which E one has external arched lintel stone with 3
crosses in circles and 2 saltire crosses. S wall has 2 late medieval clunch
dressed windows, one adapted from a Norman predecessor, both blocked with red
brick. These flank a brick C19 doorway. Norman chancel arch with impost
bands towards chancel with some zigzag decoration. Nave: 4 bays. C12 origins
extended northwards C13 with an aisle, and probably also westwards, S wall
retains blocked Norman doorway and western respond for a S aisle never
completed. 2 large round-headed S windows with wood tracery, inserted 1820's.
Buttresses of same date. Pointed-arched W window part blocked and part
destroyed by wall of later tower. 4-centred arched doorway surmounted by
narrower window (now blocked) both 1820s, give onto tower. W part of C14
pointed arched 4-bay arcade is in clunch, E part in ironstone with 1820's
heightening above in rubble and brick. N aisle: C13 with later reworkings.
Blocked pointed arched window to end, N elevation has 2 large 1820s round
arched windows with wood tracery. 4-centred arched doorway, also 1820's. Walls
heightened 1820s with rubble and brick. At E end is canopied niche and
doorway onto rood staircase. Raised walls and evidence of roofline against
tower indicate that 1820s alterations included covering the nave and aisle
with a single roof. N porch: early C19 remodelling of earlier, probably C14,
structure: W elevation retains small trefoiled light. Hipped slate roof. W
tower: 1823-6 inserted into W wall of church. 2 stages, with coursed
ironstone to lower stage and cement rendered brick to upper stage. Round
arched window to W lower stage, smaller round-arched windows to bell-stage.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: SP9811935789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings