This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1187 / 52°7'7"N
Longitude: -0.4146 / 0°24'52"W
OS Eastings: 508646
OS Northings: 247897
OS Grid: TL086478
Mapcode National: GBR G2F.40R
Mapcode Global: VHFQG.R0PL
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 13 July 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114144
English Heritage Legacy ID: 36646
Location: Cardington, Bedford, MK44
Civil Parish: Cardington
Built-Up Area: Cardington
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cardington
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0847 CARDINGTON CHURCH LANE
9/9 Parish Church of Saint
13.7.64 Mary the Virgin
Parish Church. Mostly rebuilt 1897-1901 by George Highton the Diocesan
Surveyor, for Samuel Whitbread, but retaining some original details. Original
parts (chancel) of coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, C19 work of
grit stone from Tansley Moor, Derbyshire, with Ketton stone dressings.
Chancel, N transept, 4-bay nave, N and S aisles and chapels, S porch, W tower.
Chancel clerestory, 2-bay arcades, and E end with 5-light window are c.1500.
N and S chapels have 5 Norman gargoyles reset below parapets. S doorways of
nave and S chapel, and N windows of N chapel, are C15, the latter heavily
restored. The S nave arcade reuses 2 C13 capitals. Tower arch has some re-
tooled C12 voussoir stones. Otherwise, building dates mainly from 1897-1901
and is in C15 style with embattled parapets. Interior: E bay of both chancel
arcades taken up by canopied C16 tombs with elaborate carving and archways to
chapels. N one has brass to Sir William Gascoigne (controller of Wolsey's
household) d,1540 and his 2 wives. S one, originally a Gascoigne tomb, was
appropriated for, and has brass of 1638 to Sir Jarrate Hervey and his wife
Dorothy. Both families were related by marriage and were successive
inhabitants of Cardington Manor. N transept has monument to Whitbread family.
W one to Ive Whitbread and ancestors, by Peter Scheemakers, after 1766, has
inscription to base, supporting 2 busts and obelisk. N one to Samuel
Whitbread d. 1796, by John Bacon R A, showing Whitbread lying on couch,
supported by Faith, who points to heaven, whilst mourning woman kneels at
feet. E one to Samuel Whitbread d. 1815, by H. Weekes (dated 1849), showing
husband and wife kneeling. N. Chapel has plain wall monument to Henrietta
Howard d.l765, with brief inscription to husband John Howard, philanthropist
and prison reformer, d. 1790. Black basalt Wedgwood font on tapering square
fluted pillar, given 1783 by Harriet Whitbread. J Pickford, A Short Guide
to Cardington (unpubd) 1982; also numerous documents in Bedfordshire Record
Listing NGR: TL0864647897
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings