This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1364 / 52°8'11"N
Longitude: -0.3853 / 0°23'7"W
OS Eastings: 510605
OS Northings: 249908
OS Grid: TL106499
Mapcode National: GBR H3L.5C3
Mapcode Global: VHFQ9.8KML
Entry Name: Stables of Former Manor House
Listing Date: 13 July 1964
Last Amended: 17 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114191
English Heritage Legacy ID: 36753
Location: Willington, Bedford, MK44
Civil Parish: Willington
Built-Up Area: Willington
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Willington
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 14NW WILLINGTON CHURCH END
4/116 Stables of former Manor
House (formerly listed as
Stableblock, originally belonging to Manor house. Probably between 1535 and
1541. Built by Sir John Gostwick, at one time Master of the horse to Cardinal
Wolsey and later in service of Henry VIII as Treasurer and Receiver-General of
the First Fruits and Tenths at the Dissolution. Coursed limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings, possibly reused from Newnham Priory (dissolved 1535). Clay
tile roof. Rectangular 2-storeyed block, first floor probably being
accommodation for grooms. Crow-stepped gables with moulded copings and
gargoyles to kneelers. String course to all sides at first floor level, and
at eaves level to gable ends. 3-stage buttresses, diagonal to corners, 2 each
to front and rear. Front (W) elevation: ground floor has 2 4-light windows to
outer bays. Each has 4-centred arched lights and stone mullions under square
heads with moulded labels. First floor has similar 3-light window to R of
central bay. Broad central doorway with 4-centred head and moulded dripstone.
E elevation: 3-light window to first floor central bay, in similar style to
front elevation. Ground floor RH bay has blocked square headed 3-light window
with relieving arch above. To ground floor of LH bay is blocked square headed
doorway. To first floor of LH bay is chimney breast supported by 3 different
corbels. Gable ends: each has 3-light window, in similar style to others,
except that one (serving room with fireplace) has more complex mouldings to
mullions, heads and surround. Both have a relieving arch and eaves level
string course which returns around the base of the window. Interior: all
windows have internal wood lintels. Ground floor retains post holes in floor
and E wall, originally supporting stalls and troughs. First floor has 5-bay
queen strut roof, with open arch-braced collar truss to centre of each bay.
Divided into 2 rooms, 3 bays to N, 2 bays to S, by timber framed wall with
brick infill and plastered surface. This wall is recessed to W half, the
recessed area being ceiled over. The attic level of the first, third and
fourth main trusses (from N) are also infilled. S room has fireplace to E
wall, with depressed 4-centred arch, and back wall in herringbone brick with
some C20 repairing. "John Bunyan 1650" incised into chimney piece is probably
not genuine. building refloored C20, and stairs inserted to replace ladder.
(Willington Dovecote and Stable, Tudor Farm Buildings, National Trust leaflet,
with text by J Godber.)
Listing NGR: TL1060549908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings