This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5637 / 51°33'49"N
Longitude: -2.3386 / 2°20'19"W
OS Eastings: 376622
OS Northings: 185029
OS Grid: ST766850
Mapcode National: GBR 0N6.X4N
Mapcode Global: VH95N.FY0P
Entry Name: Horton Court
Listing Date: 17 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114992
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34692
Location: Horton, South Gloucestershire, BS37
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Horton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Horton St James the Elder
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 78 NE HORTON
5/68 Horton Court
Manor house, incorporating a possible prebendal house. The north wing is
c.1140, altered C14, C15, early C18, west window inserted c.1860 and restored in
1884 by F.C. Penrose. The rest of the house was built c.1521 for William Knight,
Prothonotary and later Bishop of Bath and Wells; extensively altered inside and
restored c.1884 by F.C. Penrose and again in 1937. North wing. Rubble to
south, rendered to west and coarsed dressed stone to north; stone slate roof.
Single storey prebend's house with two opposed doorways at the west end. South
elevation: 2 storeys, two C19 and C20 2-light casement windows with ovolo
moulded and chamfered mullions, one small C12 window on first floor to left;
blocked C14 doorway to left and C12 doorway to right, scalloped capitals to jamb
shafts and chevron moulded arch. West gable has a C19 2-light cross window with
trefoil heads. North elevation: two C12 round headed windows, Perpendicular
style buttresses and a door at the west end similar to that on the south
elevation but with the arms of Robert Neville, Bishop of Salisbury set over the
door. The manor house forms an irregular L-plan to south of the prebend's hall.
Rubble, with freestone dressings; Cotswold stone slate roof; rubble stacks.
2 storeys and attics in gabled dormers. The west elevation has 2 + 2 (in gabled
cross wing to south) bays: 2- and 3-light C19 casement and cross windows with
ovolo moulded and chamfered mullions and surrounds, canted bay to north.
2 storey projecting gabled porch: panelled on ground floor,in Renaissance
surround, consisting of arabesques, armour on foliage carved on the jambs; Tudor
roses and Knights' arms on the frieze and a dentilled cornice. South elevation:
five 2- and 3-light casement windows (the 3-light with cusped pointed heads);
2-light casements with 4-centred heads on first floor; projecting single bay
gabled wings to either side. Interior. The prebend's hall has a skewed C14
arch-braced roof; the windows on the north wall have deep embrasures and a roll
moulding to the inner edge; early C16 ashlar fireplace, square headed with a
roll moulding, blank shield and surround on the lintel. Hall of manor house:
framed ceiling with double hollow moulded beams and run-out stops, chamfered
joists; ashlar fireplace with Renaissance details, fluted pilasters and coarsely
cut capitals, and a frieze of grotesque figures and arms in low-relief and
Knight's arms and prothonotary's hat, above is an inscribed stone (brought from
the garden) which reads "Wilhelmus Knight Protohenotarius Ano 1521". Drawing
room: reassembled early C17 panelling and ribbed ceiling (1937). Dining room:
ovolo and hollow moulded beams. Panelled bedrooms to south east. (C. Hussey,
Country Life, 30.I.32).
Listing NGR: ST7662785033
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings