This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.638 / 51°38'16"N
Longitude: -2.4286 / 2°25'43"W
OS Eastings: 370432
OS Northings: 193335
OS Grid: ST704933
Mapcode National: GBR JY.83S6
Mapcode Global: VH87Y.V3F3
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 5 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34741
Location: Tortworth, South Gloucestershire, GL12
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Tortworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tortworth St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 79 SW TORTWORTH
2/108 Parish Church of St. Leonard
Parish church (Anglican). C12; altered and extended C14 and C15; heavily
restored in 1872 by R.H.-Carpenter and W. Slater in a Perpendicular style. West
tower; nave; south aisle and south chapel; north porch; chancel and vestry.
Coursed squared rubble with freestone dressings; plain tiled roofs with coped
raised verges. West tower: C15, 4 stages with diagonal buttresses; pierced,
embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles (all 1870's); projecting
south east stair turrent; 2-light bell chamber openings, mullioned and transomed,
with pierced quatrefoils; 3-light west window and door. Nave: all c.1872;
two 3-light Perpendicular style windows. North Porch: dated 1853 with the arms
of Oriel College, Oxford inside; gabled projecting porch with diagonal buttresses
and crocketed pinnacles; image niche. South aisle and south chapel: c.1872:
three 3-light Perpendicular style windows, 4-light east and west windows;
blocked south door with moulded 4-centred head. Chancel: 5-light east window;
2 storey vestry projects as gabled north wing, diagonal buttresses and pinnacles.
Interior. 4 bay arcade to south aisle and a further bay to the south chapel,
clustered shafts with hollow moulding, 4-centred arches, image niche on
easternmost pier of aisle arcade. Font: C12, scalloped octagonal bowl on
cylindrical shaft, C17 cover. Pulpit: c.1872 in a Perpendicular style.
Glass: reassembled mediaeval fragments in east window of north chapel, c.1472,
Edward IV with angels, sun in splendour badge and symbols of the Passion; east
window c.1872 by Powell. Organ: in a Perpendicular style, 1895, in memory of
Julia, Countess of Ducie. Monuments. South chapel: Thomas Throckmorton, died
1568, ashlar tomb chest and canopy, in a mixture of Renaissance and late Gothic
styles, pilasters, entablature and segmental pediment, shell heads to niches,
depressed and ogee arches, much heraldry and loose C17 armour; Thomas
Throckmorton, died 1607, alabaster effigy on tomb chest against a richly
sculptured background of strapwork and symbols, framed by Corinthian columns and
entablature with moulded cornice and heraldic finials, all surmounted by
flamboyant arms with aedicule of paired Corinthian columns, obelisk finials and
cresting; oak chest of 1896 to Ducie family, Art Nouveau lettering on copper.
Chancel: Henry Brooke, died 1757, marble, broken pediment and arms; John
Frewen, died 1767, marble classical tablet. Nave: Dorothy Trenchard, died 1661,
plaque with angels; 3rd Baron Ducie, died 1808, marble plaque in strapwork
surround; Clement Lapley, died 1756, grey and white marble, classical; John
Bosworth, died 1783, by Wood of Bristol, plain plaque with urn; Rachel Matthew,
died 1761, marble, pediment and arms. South aisle: arms of George I; 1st
Baron Moreton, died 1735, baroque, fluted Ionic columns, open pediment, enriched
surrounds and arms. (Verey D, The Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, the
Vale and Forest of Dean, 1070).
Listing NGR: ST7043293335
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings