This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.0817 / 50°4'54"N
Longitude: -5.5397 / 5°32'22"W
OS Eastings: 146865
OS Northings: 26179
OS Grid: SW468261
Mapcode National: GBR DXPG.K9S
Mapcode Global: VH05P.X6QQ
Plus Code: 9C2P3FJ6+M4
Entry Name: Church of St Clement (Methodist)
Listing Date: 14 October 1991
Last Amended: 14 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115115
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351307
Location: Penzance, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: Penzance
Built-Up Area: Mousehole
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Paul
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 468261 PENZANCE CHAPEL STREET
866/10/4 CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT
14.10.1991 Methodist Church
(Formerly listed as:
Nonconformist (Wesleyan) chapel. Founded 1784, enlarged 1814, internally remodelled 1844, refenestrated late C19 and early C20, exterior rendered probably 1905.
MATERIALS: rubble walls with unpainted render or stucco with moulded detail and rustication to ground floor; dry slate roof with widely spaced eaves modillions.
PLAN: ritual E end to south, with pulpit and organ loft linked to horseshoe-plan gallery, entrance front to N and entrance hall flanked by staircases. 2-storey elevations with semi-circular arched windows with coloured leaded glazing. Moulded plinth, mid-floor entablature, fluted pilasters to 1st-floor windows, moulded impost string and moulded archivolts. Symmetrical 3-bay entrance front has wide central doorway with leaded spoked fanlight over pair of panelled doors. 4-bay side elevations. Small porch in angle with organ loft to south elevation.
INTERIOR: complete and fine interior of c1834. Complete set of seating with grained box pews and horseshoe gallery carried on slender columns with stylised Ionic capitals, the panelled gallery front projecting on brackets to a dentilled cornice. Straight-flight stairs with fret-cut brackets and arched balustrade flank pulpit with bowed and panelled front flanked by rococo-style metal grills above fluted Doric columns to base. Paired and fluted Ionic columns support beams framing organ loft behind pulpit. Moulded cornice throughout and large ceiling roses with acanthus detail.
GLASS: fine late C19 and early C20 patterned stained glass including the figures of Wesley, Bunyan and Wycliffe.
MEMORIALS include World War 1 tablet by Snell and commemorative corner to the lost Penlee lifeboat and her crew. This chapel has an unusually fine and complete c1844 interior and fittings.
Listing NGR: SW4687126178
Other nearby listed buildings