This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4009 / 51°24'3"N
Longitude: -2.5272 / 2°31'37"W
OS Eastings: 363421
OS Northings: 167010
OS Grid: ST634670
Mapcode National: GBR JT.QWJN
Mapcode Global: VH892.41TW
Plus Code: 9C3VCF2F+94
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115380
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32468
Location: Compton Dando, Bath and North East Somerset, BS31
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Compton Dando
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
COMPTON DANDO QUEEN CHARLTON
ST 66 NW
2/50 Church of St. Margaret
Anglican parish church. Late C12, altered C13 and C15; restored. Consists
of nave and north porch, central tower, north transept, chancel and remains of
south chapel. Coursed rubble with freestone quoins and dressings, ashlar to
upper parts of tower; lead roof over nave, plain and fishscale tiles elsewhere.
The central tower is C12, altered in the C15 and restored in the C19; 2 full
stages are visible above the body of the church; 2-light round-headed windows
set within a large round-headed opening and under a hoodmould, all with
continuous roll mouldings; diagonal buttresses with off-sets; parapet with
pierced arcading, pinnacles and gargoyles; 2-light Perpendicular style bell
chamber windows with blank arcading and under dripmoulds with diamond stops;
2-light Perpendicular style with cusped ogee head, on lowest stage of south
side of tower, infilling an earlier arch; polygonal stairtower projects at
north-east. Nave has C19 Perpendicular style window and C19 projecting north
porch. North transept with 3-light Perpendicular style window; buttresses
with off-sets at sides. Chancel: 2-light C19 Perpendicular style north window;
3-light east with Geometrical style tracery; projection on south side.
Interior. The tower arches are pointed and single stepped, those to the nave
and chancel have half-columns with scalloped capitals; blocked doorway with
4-centred head above north arch. The south side of the Chancel has a 2 bay
arcade to the now removed south chapel; early - mid C13 with octagonal central
pier which has a capital enriched with stiff-leaf, animal head and a human head
in a head-dress; west respond has minimal stiff-leaf enrichment; more
complete east respond is enriched with a beast's and a human head bitten by
beasts, double chamfered arches. Book rest on north wall is set on a carved
and crowned female head. Font is C12, ashlar, a cylindrical stem, an
octagonal bowl with a cushion base. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England :
North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST6342167010
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings