This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3331 / 51°19'59"N
Longitude: 0.7653 / 0°45'54"E
OS Eastings: 592729
OS Northings: 162968
OS Grid: TQ927629
Mapcode National: GBR RTF.89P
Mapcode Global: VHKJM.6RXD
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176213
Location: Bapchild, Swale, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Bapchild
Built-Up Area: Sittingbourne
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 96 SW BAPCHILD SCHOOL LANE
2/3 Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. C12 with C13 spire, south porch c.1525, restored 1872 and
1883. Flint and rubble with plain tiled roof, brick porch and shingle
spire. Nave with north aisle, chancel with north chapel, south tower and
south porch. Fenestration of heavily restored C16 Perpendicular windows
apart from single round headed west light in north aisle, south-west lancet
in aisle and 3 lancets on south wall of chancel. Blocked western window,
and remnants of east window of triple round-headed lancets, the centre raised
Diagonal buttresses to chancel and chapel, 3 offset buttresses to chapel north
wall, 2 hipped dormers to north aisle and blocked northern and western door-
ways. South porch with diapered brickwork on weathered and moulded plinth.
with bargeboarded gable. South door with strap hinges, dated by graffiti
to at least 1596, in double hollow chamfered surrounded. South tower with
blocked western doorway and blocked eastern arch; angle vice to west and
broach spire. Interior:nave arcade of 4 round unmoulded arches on octagonal
piers with scalloped capitals. Central piers is doubled in width. Plastered
roof with 2 crown posts. Hollow moulded doorway to south to external vice.
Plain chamfered chancel arch. Lean-to north aisle with pointed keel-moulded
arch to north chapel, on moulded impost with carved-leaf corbels. Chancel
with 3 bay arcade to chapel, pointed keel-rolled arches on round piers with
square abaci chamfered at corners with paired and stiffly upright debased
acanthus motif. c.1200, based on the 1175 work at Canterbury Cathedral.
Remnants of C12 triple east window jambs over C16 east window with capitals
of missing attached shafts either side. Part plastered wagon roof. Blocked
arched opening to south tower, with double hollow chamfered and role moulded
doorway. South tower with blocked eastern arch with piscina, once leading
to an apse. North chapel with arcade on north wall, 4 keel-moulded arches
on free-standing shafts with waterholding bases and carved leaf capitals.
Discontinuous string course decorated with cinquefoils, and evidence of 4
lancet windows to north, blocked and replaced by C16 windows, and blocked
and replaced east window originally of lancets. Part plastered part panelled
wagon roof. Fittings: angle piscina in north chapel, the frieze of the
eastern repsond of chancel arcade is carried back and over the piscina, with
2 roll moulded arches with central shaft, the capital carved as with chancel
arcade (the same distinguishing motif used at Doddington, Milstead, Frinsted
and Murston churches). Aumbrey in chancel east wall. C13 painted reredos
of the Crucifixion in chapel. Restored C15 rood screen now stored in north
chapel. C17 octagonal pulpit; brass chandelier of 12 sticks and central
torch finial; inscribed: Bapchild 1746. C18 and C19 box pews. Fragentary
medieval and C17 paintings, including double orb and date 1989 over chancel
arch. Single Perpendicular niche in nave over central arcade pier, sone
fragmentary glass and tiles in north chapel, east winsow in chancel by
Warrington 1865. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 132-3).
Listing NGR: TQ9281963081
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings