This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6741 / 52°40'26"N
Longitude: -0.5366 / 0°32'11"W
OS Eastings: 499044
OS Northings: 309492
OS Grid: SK990094
Mapcode National: GBR FVH.956
Mapcode Global: WHGLW.Q1PS
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115498
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187251
Location: Tickencote, Rutland, PE9
Civil Parish: Tickencote
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Tickencote St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 9809-9909 TICKENCOTE
14.6.54 Church of St Peter
Church, C12, restored, partly rebuilt and added to 1792 in Norman style by
S P Cockerell, nave re-roofed and re-seated 1872, Consists of 3-bay nave, 2-bay
chancel with priest's chamber above, south tower of 2 storeys and bell-stage, north
vestry. Of stone, with Collyweston stone slate roofs and coped gables. Exterior:
chancel, buttressed with engaged round shafts. Restored east end has blind arcade
of intersecting round-headed arches. Round-headed east window with stylized
leaf-mouldings and billet moulded hood mould continuing as frieze to either side.
Taller, narrower window above lights priest's chamber. 2 orders of blind
round-headed arcading above billet frieze. Blind rectangular panels in gable.
Lower arcade and billet frieze return on north and south sides of chancel. North -
and south windows similar to east window, but revealing much smaller and entirely
plain openings in inner skin of wall. Cornice with stylized leaf moulding (similar
to but not the same as that to the windows). Nave treated in a similar manner but
without arcading. North vestry, with hipped roof, lit by small plain round-headed
windows in recesses with moulded heads. South tower has pyramidal roof with weather
vane and contains bells which until 1792 hung in a bell-cote at the west end of the
chancel. Round-headed entrance with 4 roll-moulded orders. Tympanum carries tablet
commemorating Eliza Wingfield who paid for the 1792 work.
Interior: Outstanding mid C12 round-headed chancel arch of 6 elaborately decorated
orders on ornamental capitals. The innermost order is roll-moulded, the 2nd has
beak-heads, the 3rd zig-zags and crenellations, the 4th various motifs - heads,
figures, animals and foliage - the 5th zig-zag and the outermost stylized leaf
mouldings surrounded by a billet-moulding. The chancel has a sexpartite rib-vault,
perhaps c.1160-70 and of its type unique. The ribs have zig-zag moulding and are
carried on stumpy columns with ornamental capitals (the central column to the south
is replaced by a taller semi-octagonal shaft). Central boss with head and 2 muzzled
bears' heads. Entrance to priest's chamber in north east corner, now blocked. Tall
round-headed arches with ornamented capitals enclose windows. Square late C12 font
with interlaced arcaded decoration, on recut base. C14 wooden effigy in chancel.
Wooden altar table of 1627. C19 nave roof carried on grotesque heads. (V C H Rutland,
ii, pp, 277-81.)
Listing NGR: SK9904409492
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings