This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5166 / 52°30'59"N
Longitude: -1.6263 / 1°37'34"W
OS Eastings: 425457
OS Northings: 291028
OS Grid: SP254910
Mapcode National: GBR 5JC.9MT
Mapcode Global: VHBWH.R0MM
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 8 September 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309048
Location: Over Whitacre, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Over Whitacre
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
OVER WHITACRE NUNEATON ROAD
SP29SE (West side)
3/143 Church of St. Leonard
Church. 1766 attributed to William or David Hiorn. Spire substituted for dome in
1850. Sandstone ashlar. Shallow pitch slate roof with pedimented gable ends.
Plan of West tower, aisleless nave, and chancel. 3 stage west tower has doorway
with moulded surround flanked by volutes in a square head. Double doors of six
raised and fielded panels. Above a tripartite lunette. In the south side wall a
bulls eye window. Bell stage has large openings with Gibbs surrounds rising into
broken pediments on pilasters. On the corners are big globes. Octagonal spire of
1850 also of sandstone ashlar. Four pedimented oval lucarnes, and below blocked
tripartite lunettes. There are plain bands between the stages carried round to
the nave. South side wall of 3 window bays. Round-headed arches to leaded
lights. The short chancel has a Venetian window at the east end. The north wall
of the nave has the centre window blocked. Interior: porch with font of marble.
Mid C19. Round basin with gadrooning to underside; on short fluted column. Newel
staircase leads to west gallery and bell stage. Gallery on four piers of wood
with moulded capitals. The parapet has 3 raised and fielded panels. The
communion rail is original. The balusters are of column-on-vase type with a
moulded rail. The pulpit has been resited and cut down. Oak. Square with
chamfered corners and shaped lower edge on a stem. The panels are inlaid and
there are bands of beading, dentils and fluting. The reading desk is also
original. Double sided with original bracketted candelabra. Panelled ends. On
square column with fluted sides. Monuments. North wall of nave: Alice Brome 1698
(reset). Marble wall monmument with limestone shield above. Tablet flanked by
volutes and bolection moulded frame with winged cherubs head below. Richard
Sadler of Holt Hall. Over Whitacre. 1734. Marble wall monument. Segmental
pedimented tablet. Arthur Miller and Susanne, his wife. Mid C18. Open pedimented
wall monument of white marble with black marble to the brackets. South of
chancel arch: Miller Sadler and Frances, his wife, late C18 neo-classical wall
monument of white marble in form of obelisk. On window sill, a model of the 1766
church shows the dome and the original interior.
(Buildings of England; Warwickshire: p368; VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV)
Listing NGR: SP2545791028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings