This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1661 / 51°9'57"N
Longitude: 0.8158 / 0°48'56"E
OS Eastings: 596964
OS Northings: 144528
OS Grid: TQ969445
Mapcode National: GBR RWF.WLB
Mapcode Global: VHKKF.3Y4G
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 14 February 1967
Last Amended: 10 October 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180971
Location: Hothfield, Ashford, Kent, TN26
Civil Parish: Hothfield
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5272 HOTHFIELD BETHERSDEN ROAD
Church of St Margaret
(formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)
TQ 94 SE 15/1 14.2.67
Built of Kentish ragstone. Chancel with north and south chapels. Nave with
aisles and west tower with shingled spire. The interior has no arches separating
the chancel from the nave or the chapels from the aisles. Three bay nave.
The building contained mediaeval work of several periods but was badly damaged
by lightning in the late C16 or early C17 and was rebuilt by Sir John Tufton,
who died in 1642 and is buried in the church. The north and south chapels
were added in 1876, when the whole church was restored. Credence and aumbry.
Cinquefoil headed piscina and traces of sedilia. "The Lost Chord" was composed
and first played on the organ here, when Sir Arthur Sullivan was a guest of
Lord and Lady Hothfield. The churchyard contains some C18 stone headstones
with hourglass, skull and cherub motifs, and oval bodystones.
Listing NGR: TQ9696444528
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings