This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1139 / 52°6'50"N
Longitude: -0.7518 / 0°45'6"W
OS Eastings: 485572
OS Northings: 246909
OS Grid: SP855469
Mapcode National: GBR CZB.GR9
Mapcode Global: VHDST.X4FB
Plus Code: 9C4X467X+H7
Entry Name: Tyringham Hall
Listing Date: 3 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115849
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351116
Location: Tyringham and Filgrave, Milton Keynes, MK16
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Tyringham and Filgrave
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Tyringham with Filgrave
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 84 NE TYRINGHAM WITH FILGRAVE TYRINGHAM
5/208 Tyringham Hall
Country House now a clinic,1793-7 by Soane for William Praed.
Altered 1909 by G.F.Rees for F.Konig. Ashlar stone, slate mansard-roof
with dormers and copper dome of 1909, balustraded parapet with urn
finials over portico, dentil cornice. Two storeys, with attic and
basement. Stone slightly rusticated on ground floor, white stone strings
etc, reeded 1st floor band, very narrow recessed band joining heads
of first floor windows, ground floor windows with deep panelled cills.
Entrance front has 7 bays, the 3 centre in segmental bow with 4 giant
Doric columns in antis with wall pilasters, entablature and cornice
in line with rest of house. Glazed door in centre approached by
segmental stone steps and flanked by stone sphinxes. At outer corners
of front are coupled giant pilasters supporting projecting section
of entablature, 2 bays either side of bow. All windows are sashes
with a band of Greek key pattern below 1st floor windows. To the right
lower 2-storey service wing, mainly refaced in ashlar stone 1909;
11 bays, balustraded parapet; left hand flank elevation of four bays,
similar design and unaltered. Garden front of 7 bays the 3 centre in
a segmental bow with attic storey added 1909 with pilasters, cornice,
balustraded parapet and urns. Central glazed door in baroque, stone
doorcase of 1909. Basement concealed by balustraded parapet surrounding
house. Garden front of service wing refaced in ashlar stone 1909.
2 storeys. 11 bays, balustraded parapet. This wing contains an open
courtyard entered through arch with pediment over in the north-east
elevation. Modern swimming pool attached is not of interest.
Interior: All main rooms completely altered 1909 in French style.
Imitation stone entrance hall and main staircase. On the first floor
the shallow domed ceilings of Soane's original design survive at the
intersection of the corridors, and some of Soanes simple joinery
details on the attic floor.
Listing NGR: SP8557246909
Other nearby listed buildings