This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1082 / 52°6'29"N
Longitude: -0.7666 / 0°45'59"W
OS Eastings: 484568
OS Northings: 246260
OS Grid: SP845462
Mapcode National: GBR CZ9.YTX
Mapcode Global: VHDST.N8LP
Entry Name: Flat Numbers 13 to 26 (Consecutively)
Listing Date: 3 March 1952
Last Amended: 27 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115951
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350956
Location: Gayhurst, Milton Keynes, MK16
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Gayhurst
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Gayhurst
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 84 NW GAYHURST GAYHURST COURT
4/51 flat Nos. 13-26 consecutively)
formerly listed as
Country house now flats. 1597-c1603 for William Moulsoe and Sir
Everard Digby his son in law. S.W. wing incorporates earlier C16
house. North front c.1750 for George Wright, restoration and
internal work by William Burges for Lord Carrington between 1859 and
1872. Coursed limestone, concealed roofs, stone chimneys. S.E. and
N.E. front of 2 storeys with plinth, strings over windows, parapets,
5 ogee gables on S.E. front with moulded copings and finials on apex
and on parapet between them. S.E. (entrance) front has recessed
centre part of 5 gabled bays, the centre being a projecting 3 storey
porch with arched doorway with architrave, impost and keyblocks,
flanked by Doric columns on plinths, supporting entablature with
triglyph frieze broken forward over columns. Above is 8-light leaded
stone mullioned and transomed window flanked by Ionic columns on
plinths whose top moulding carries round as a string with a stone
cartouche in centre below. The columns support entablature and
2nd floor which oversails and has 4 light stone mullioned window.
On the ground floor the porch has a panelled dado and seats at sides.
Porch is flanked by gabled bays with 4 light stone mullioned windows
to 2nd floor and 8 light mullioned and transomed windows below. The
outer bays project into the angles with the wings and have 2 and 4
light windows in the return walls. Outer projecting wings with
higher parapets, that on the S.W. side false at 2nd floor masking
roof of earlier house. 12 light stone mullioned and transomed windows
to each floor, 1st floor windows taller. Inner elevations have one
bay of 8 light windows. N.E. front has plain parapet, 5 bays, the
centre a projecting 3 storey porch with 3 arched openings to ground
floor with architraves, keyblocks, and moulded imposts continuing as
band. Above are 8-light mullioned and transomed windows. One bay
of similar windows each side, and at outer corners angular bays full
height with 4 light mullioned and transomed windows on each face.
All windows on both fronts have leaded lights, large lozenge shaped
and small square panes, some on N.E. front altered to sash windows.
N.W. front altered c.1750 by George Wright, 2-storey central part of
7 bays, ashlar dressings, plinth, 1st floor band, bracketted cornice
and blocking course. Sash windows in architrave surrounds. 1st
floor windows taller with pulvinated friezes and alternate triangular
and segmental pediments, former with carved console brackets. In centre
an arched doorway in Doric porch, triglyph frieze and balustraded
parapet. Flanking wings of Jacobean house altered in Cl8. 3 storeys,
Venetian window on ground floor, triangular pedimented sash window to
first floor, small sash window with architrative swept out to cill on the with architrave swept out to cill on
second floor. S.W. elevation has tiled roof and 3 gables, apparently
part of earlier house. Service wing attached, listed separately.
Interior central hall with. simple C18 plaster panelling, coved ceiling
stone chimney piece. In centre of N,E, end large stone arch flanked by
fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying entablature. Soffit of arch richly
carved. N.E. wing (Flat 24) S. room is the Abbess's Room with elaborate
decorations by Burges 1861 and 1872. Monumental chimney piece, coved
lintel carved with mermaids etc., brass fire surround; room entirely
panelled and painted, narrow panels with flowers, by Frederick Smallfield.
Delicate ironwork to doors. N. room has oak panelling. C17 carved
overmantel and moulded plaster ceiling. N.W. room, formerly dining room,
has 2 large stone chimney pieces by Burges 1861 with overmantels carved
by Nicholls to represent Paradise Lost and Regained.
Main Staircase early Cl8, twisted balusters, panelled dado, plaster
cornice and ornamental plaster panel to upper wall. C18 doors and
doorcases. First floor landing has staircase and doorway by Burges
1859. Heavy tympanum inscribed 'Guard Room' below stone staircase
supported on gigantic corbel representing Caliban, looking at smaller
corbel carving of Ariel. Heavy stone newels, balustrades, panelled
soffit coffered ceiling above with octagonal pointed panels,
pendants. Service staircase,also by Burges with simple iron balustrade.
L. rooms at S.W. end a fireplace by Burges carved with mermaids 1869.
RCHM II p 116 Mon 2. Country Life Jan 1903
Listing NGR: SP8456846260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings