This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4903 / 51°29'25"N
Longitude: -2.5024 / 2°30'8"W
OS Eastings: 365214
OS Northings: 176941
OS Grid: ST652769
Mapcode National: GBR CX4.SL
Mapcode Global: VH88H.KSYW
Entry Name: The Green Dragon Public House
Listing Date: 15 July 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116176
English Heritage Legacy ID: 28759
Location: Downend and Bromley Heath, South Gloucestershire, BS16
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Downend and Bromley Heath
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Downend
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
980/8/10107 BADMINTON ROAD
THE GREEN DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE
(Formerly listed as:
THE GREEN DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE)
A multi-phase, vernacular dwelling of C17 origin, extended in the late C18 or early C19 and used as a public house. Further extensions in the C19 and C20 provide supplementary accommodation.
MATERIALS: Much of the early structure is in local rubble stone with later additions in block or brickwork, all of which are rendered. The principal roofs have clay single-roman pantiles and the lean-tos have felt coverings. There are brick chimney stacks with clay pots.
PLAN: Orientated north-south; parallel with, but set back from the road. It is a multi-cellular building with the first phases to the south-east; a separate building to the north, and adjoining extensions in between. The early building has three storeys; the purpose-built pub extension has two storeys and a cellar. The ancillary accommodation is made up of a long, two-storey range, with single-storey lean-tos.
EXTERIOR: The various elements of the principal façade have little stylistic similarity. The south end is dominated by a gable with symmetrical arrangement with faux-Tudor mullioned windows: three to the ground floor, one to the first floor and one blind window to the second floor. There are chamfered surrounds, hood moulds and a string course all in stone. A gabled stair tower abuts this range and adjoins the pitched, purpose-built pub range. There are sash windows with plain reveals and projecting cills. There is a lobby with a quadrant entrance way, sharing the faux-Tudor stylistic detailing of the main gable. The main range to the north has a hipped, pantiled, roof with a large window at first-floor level.
INTERIOR: There is little historic fabric directly associated with the building's function as a public house remaining. The features and fittings of the bar are of the C20 or C21. The cellar is barrel vaulted and retains its loading door. In the upper floors of the first phase of the building there are C17 door assemblages and a late-C18 or early-C19 cupboard. The roof structure of this phase is a C17 extended collar-beam construction with chamfered, stripped beams. Fireplaces and stair cases all date from the C19 or C20. The C20 addition to the south-west has a moulded cornice and ceiling rose. The north range has few historic interior features, but has evidence of internal reordering with many blocked and inserted doorways.
Cartographic evidence shows that the Green Dragon developed in three main phases: a three storey dwelling was first, followed by the two storey pub, and later an ancillary building to the north which then underwent extension and was joined to the south. A further range and lobby were built upon the first phase in the early C20. The earliest part of the building dates from the C17, as is evident from the roof structure and some interior features. The adjoining two-storey range to the immediate north was built as a pub, with a cellar with loading hatch. This range pre-dates the 1842 tithe map. The Ordnance Survey map from 1880 shows the majority of building to be present, excluding a range at the south-west and minor lobbies and infilling, which are present on the 1920 edition. The 1880 is the first map on which the Green Dragon is marked as a public house. The function of some of the rooms to the northern part of the building is unclear: the main, two-storey range seems to be a store room on the ground floor and a function room upstairs. There has been much internal reordering and it has been suggested it may have once been a cart house and hayloft.
Heaton, M, The Green Dragon Archaeological Assessment Ref 3396 (2007) Michael Heaton Heritage Consultants
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Green Dragon Public House is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: a substantial amount of historic fabric remains in both the C17 dwelling and the adjacent pub range, dating from before 1840
* Intactness: despite later alterations, the building is a good and interesting example of an evolved dwelling-turned-pub with clear evidence of its development
* Interior: despite general and repeated alteration and reordering some historic features, such as door assemblages are extant
* Architectural interest: the early-C20 additions are representative of their time and have good stonework to their faux-Tudor detailing
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings