History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thorp Arch Hall Including East Wing and West Wing

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thorp Arch, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9109 / 53°54'39"N

Longitude: -1.3475 / 1°20'51"W

OS Eastings: 442959

OS Northings: 446284

OS Grid: SE429462

Mapcode National: GBR MR16.2S

Mapcode Global: WHDB1.8YKP

Entry Name: Thorp Arch Hall Including East Wing and West Wing

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Last Amended: 8 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1116216

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342042

Location: Thorp Arch, Leeds, LS23

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Thorp Arch

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thorp-Arch All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


2/119 Thorp Arch Hall
30.3.66 including East Wing and
West Wing (formerly
listed as part of Thorp
Arch Hall and Stable


Large house now 3 dwellings. 1750-54 by John Carr for William Gossip (Thorp
Arch estate papers, Leeds City Archives). Ashlar magnesian limestone, Welsh
slate roofs. 2-storey-and-attic, 5-bay double-pile house flanked by 2-
storey, 3-bay side wings set back and under separate roofs. Main house:
plinth, rusticated quoins; nosed stone steps to central glazed double-door
and 3-pane overlight in C20 facsimile cast-concrete surround having
architrave, pulvinated frieze and pediment on carved consoles. Other bays
have sill band interrupted by lowered windows with unequally-hung 21-pane
sashes in C20 facsimile architraved surrounds with pulvinated friezes and
cornices. 1st floor: projecting sills and renewed architraves to sashes with
glazing bars. Eaves cornice to hipped roof with ashlar end stacks and 2 sky-
light windows. Wing set back on left (West Wing): large quoins; sashes with
glazing bars beneath 9-pane casements, all having flush sills and deep
lintels; eaves band to pyramidal roof with end stack on left. A 1-storey
addition on left has part-glazed door on right of a blind 2-light mullioned
window. Wing set back on right (East Wing) is similar; to its right is a
screen wall with round-arched doorway. Rear of main house has steps to
central 6-panel door and fanlight flanked by 8-pane sashes in Venetian style;
tripartite window to ist floor otherwise sashes with glazing bars. Wings
each have a blocked segmental archway now with later windows and doors
Interior transverse hall with differing wooden staircase at each end having
turned balusters, column newels and wreathed and ramped handrails; hall
doorways have plain architraves under renewed friezes and cornices. Ground-
floor room to front right: enriched 6-panel doors with acorn friezes and
carved cornices; enriched skirting and dado rail; wooden fireplace with shell
and acanthus motifs on frieze, overmantel with shouldered and eared
architrave; plaster panels to walls and ceiling, dentilled cornice, floral
ceiling motifs in Rococo style. Rear-right room: plainer doorcase; panelled
dado; wooden fireplace with side scrolls and floral panel on carved frieze
beneath overmantel with Greek fret ornament, drops and broken pediment;
modillioned ceiling cornice. Front-left room: doorcase has carved architrave
and planted carvings on frieze; resited wooden fire surround. Rear lobby:
round-arched display cabinet with eared architrave; doorway into hall has
eared architrave, pulvinated frieze and cornice. 1st floor: landing
doorcases have architraves, pulvinated friezes and cornices; half-round stair
windows at each end, that to right return with old glazing bars and glass;
panelled plaster ceiling. Contemporary fire surrounds to the rooms on right.
William Gossip of Skelton, near York, intended to build "a house of 5 windows
and 4 rooms on a floor with the offices and stables in the wings" on his
estate at Thorp Arch. On recommendation of Sir Rowland Winn of Nostell
Priory he contacted James Paine who, despite engaging in some correspondence,
was too busy to finalise a plan. On 8th August 1749 Gossip wrote to John and
Robert Carr and by 15th August Mr. Carr "brought finished plans". A lengthy
account tracks the building from 1750 until its completion in 1754; John
Carr's account being settled in April 1756.
Thorp Arch estate papers, Leeds City Archives [particularly Day Book 1749-51
(box 21/item 10) which notes the visits to Thorp Arch by Mr. Carr].

Listing NGR: SE4295946284

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.