This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0872 / 52°5'13"N
Longitude: -2.1222 / 2°7'19"W
OS Eastings: 391726
OS Northings: 243212
OS Grid: SO917432
Mapcode National: GBR 1HM.49D
Mapcode Global: VH938.5SGT
Plus Code: 9C4V3VPH+V4
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 12 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442719
Location: Defford, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR8
Civil Parish: Defford
Built-Up Area: Defford
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Defford cum Besford
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 94 SW
Church of St James
Anglican church. C13 nave, C14 tower, C17/18 and early C19 alterations, 1868 chancel, late C19-early C20 belfry. Coursed stone rubble with freestone dressings; ashlar tower with timber-framed belfry. Plain tile roof with gabled ends with stone coping. PLAN: 2-cell church with west tower; C13 nave, tower added or rebuilding of earlier tower in C14; gallery built at west end of nave early C19; chancel rebuilt 1868; belfry rebuilt late C19/early C20. Timber-framed south porch of uncertain date. EXTERIOR: Nave has 2-lightwindows with segmental heads to lights, the north windows restored; south doorway with segmental arch with carved female head re-used as keystone and hoodmould; timber- framed south porch; blocked north doorway now a window. Chancel has lancets to north and south, 3- light east window with Perpendicular style tracery and buttresses with set-offs. Ashlar west tower with diagonal buttresses with set-offs and Decorated west window with cusped reticulated tracery. I NTERIOR: Plastered walls, nave ceiled and with old plaster and exposed wall-plate; moulded cambered tie-beam [or rood] across nave; between the windows in south wall are projecting buttress features with finials. Victorian chancel arch on colonettes with stiff-leaf capitals; moulded corbel high up in west end of nave. Gallery at west end of nave with fielded-panel front. Unmoulded round tower arch. Medieval collar-rafter nave roof with cranked collars and curved braces. Painted Commandment and alms boards in vestry under tower. Victorian furnishings and early C20 stained glass in east window. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.130.
Listing NGR: SO9172643212
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings