This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4069 / 51°24'24"N
Longitude: -1.074 / 1°4'26"W
OS Eastings: 464506
OS Northings: 167949
OS Grid: SU645679
Mapcode National: GBR B4R.R9N
Mapcode Global: VHCZH.BWLV
Plus Code: 9C3WCW4G+QC
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 28 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117112
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40022
Location: Sulhamstead, West Berkshire, RG7
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Sulhamstead
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Sulhamstead Abbots and Bannister with Ufton Nervet
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 66 NW
Church of St. Mary
Church. C13 with C19 restoration. Random flint with Bath stone dressings, tile hung east gable to nave and brick east gable to chancel, boarded tower, timber frame with brick infill on south porch. Plain tiled roofs, that on tower pyramidal and surmounted by weathervane. Chancel, nave, north aisle, west tower, south porch.
West elevation: Truncated gable with tower rising from it, roof brought down over north aisle; central square headed window with three cusped lights and drip mould, above blocked doorway with four-centred arched head, the blocking incorporating carved stones which appear to have been cusped window heads.
South elevation: Nave - plain two-light window to left of gabled south porch, square headed window under drip mould with three cusped headed lights to right; chancel - blocked square window to left of door with pointed arched opening, two lancets to right.
Interior: plastered walls with stone dressings, Nave five bays, timber roof of C15 with double butt purlins and curved wind braces, large timber frame rises from west end of nave to support bell tower, three bay arcade to north aisle of depressed two-centred arches on squat pillar to west and column to east, some remains of painting of soffit of eastern arch, blocked window of one light with cusped head and label mould at east end of north aisle; Chancel arch: chamfered and moulded two centred arch with carved leaf springing; Chancel: two bays early C17 roof of archbraced collar truss with carved springing, clasped purlins and carved wind braces above and below purlins, wainscoted sanctuary with stone piscina in chamfered arch; Fittings: painted timber reredos and alter frontal of pelican with vine and angels and Mary and Elizabeth with vine, angels and scutcheons of arms by Sir Ninian Comper 1936; painted panel with arms of William and Mary dated 1694 on spandrel of arch to north aisle arcade; cylindrical stone font with round arched arcading by south door; glass to east window by Sir Ninian Comper 1938.
Listing NGR: SU6450767950
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings