This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2986 / 52°17'55"N
Longitude: -1.5716 / 1°34'17"W
OS Eastings: 429312
OS Northings: 266810
OS Grid: SP293668
Mapcode National: GBR 5LY.ZD3
Mapcode Global: VHBXH.QH16
Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 11 April 1967
Last Amended: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308037
Location: Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34
Civil Parish: Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Leek Wootton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
10/375 Chapel of St Mary
included as Guy's
11.4.67 Cliffe Chapel)
Circa early C15, altered mid C18 and early C19, restored 1874 and 1933. Circa 600 oratory chapel dedicated to St Mary Magdalene founded at Guy's Cliffe by Saint Dubritius. Circa 1430 present chapel rebuilt by Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, at cost ?184. Circa 1764 chapel restored and upper part of tower built with crocketted pinnacles and parapet with battlements and frieze with cusped arcade. 1819-24 interior re-constructed and west and north-east windows 'open-up'. 1974 chapel adapted for use as Masonic Temple. Consists of two parallel aisles of five bays with a porch and small tower at the centre of south-west wall. Hipped plain tile roof with gabled end to river. NE third of random sandstone rubble, remainder of sandstone ashlar. Hollow chamfered windows with roll mouldings, one has tracery. Quatrefoil window to left hand side of tower. Winding stone staircase in tower leads to priets' rooms in rafters. Beneath chapel is undercroft and below that a barrel-vaulted chamber 20ft x 8ft known as dungeon. Chapel contains late C14 mutilated statue 8ft high, carved out of rock face, reputed to represent Guy of Warwick who is held to have occupied the nearby excavations in the rock. John Rous, the C15 anti-quarian, was a priest here. (Ancient Monument).
Listing NGR: SP2931266810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings