This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4502 / 51°27'0"N
Longitude: -0.8575 / 0°51'27"W
OS Eastings: 479486
OS Northings: 172972
OS Grid: SU794729
Mapcode National: GBR C60.017
Mapcode Global: VHDWW.3T05
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41220
Location: St. Nicholas, Hurst, Wokingham, RG10
Civil Parish: St. Nicholas, Hurst
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Hurst
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST NICHOLAS HURST,
CHURCH HILL (north side),
Church Of St. Nicholas
Parish Church. Early C13, rebuilt externally C19 by W. Fellows Prynne. Mainly flint
with stone dressings, tile roof. Consists of chancel, north and south chapels,
nave, aisles, south porch and west tower. The tower of 1612, brick, has 3 stages
moulded stone strings, battlemented parapet and central cupola with ogee roof and
wrought iron weather vane. Chancel restored and refurbished 1903, roof original,
restored, the beam above rood screen supports four panels of carved wood tracery
Nave, restored 1876, has a 3 bay transitional north arcade, centre pier of 2
diameters, the lower and larger has a scalloped top, the upper a plain cap. Other
piers have scalloped caps. Nave roof has collar purlin with arch braces and
moulded crown posts. Roof to both aisles similar, restored. North aisle has 3 Early
English lancet windows in rebuilt walling. South aisle mainly C19. Across the
chancel opening and the aisles, a C17 carved screen including to lower part arms
of James I. Pulpit also early C17 and adjoining is a wrought iron hour glass holder
dated 1636. The font is late Decorated with panelled octagonal bowl, ogee tracery,
small corner shafts each supporting an angel under angle on base of clustered
shafts standing on 2 stone steps.
MONUMENTS North wall of Chancel:- An elaborate wall monument to Henry Barker
of Hurst died 1651.
South wall of Chancel:- A large marble oval panel to Robert Palmer
North wall of North Chapel:- A tall panelled plinth to Lady Margaret
Savile died 1631, widow of Sir Henry Savile, Provost of Eton, founder
of the Savilion professorships at Oxford. A brass to Alice died 1600,
daughter of Richard Ward, wife of Thomas Harrison. Below a brass to
Richard Kippax died 1625, one time examiner in the Starr Chamber.
South wall of North Chapel:- Large wall monument to Sir Richard and
Lady Harrison, 1683.
The altar of the chapel is flanked by good C17 and Cl8 tablets and
cartouches.Set in the floor are six C17 tombstones.
At the west end of the north aisle is an altar tomb with black marble
top to Richard Bigg of Haineshill died 1677.
Listing NGR: SU7948672976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings