This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4902 / 51°29'24"N
Longitude: -0.7702 / 0°46'12"W
OS Eastings: 485479
OS Northings: 177517
OS Grid: SU854775
Mapcode National: GBR D6V.J2Y
Mapcode Global: VHDWQ.LTP0
Plus Code: 9C3XF6RH+3W
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 April 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41136
Location: White Waltham, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL6
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: White Waltham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
SU 87 NE
CHURCH HILL (east side)
Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12, C13, C14; heavily restored in 1868. Mostly flint, some chequered stone and flint; part chalk and Bath stone dressings. Tile roofs. West tower; nave with north and south aisles and south porch; north transept, now used as an organ chamber and vestry; south transept; chancel.
Tower: three stages. Weathered plinth, string with bolection moulding; moulded cornice on small shaped brackets to parapet. Circular stair turret, projecting on the north west corner, rising just above tower with conical tile roof and broken finial. The bottom stage has a C19, three-light traceried window on the west face, with pointed, moulded head, enriched with dog-tooth ornament. The ringing stage has a lancet window on three faces, recessed within a cusped inner opening with cusped and pointed outer arched opening. The bell chamber has a clock face and a two-light cusped louvred opening with pointed, moulded arched head enriched with dog-tooth ornament on three faces.
Nave: North aisle: west end, C13, with a two-light lancet window, restored and a quatrefoil over. North wall: three C19, two-light coupled trefoiled windows. Clasping buttress on north-west corner.
South aisle: south wall. Three, C19 two-light coupled trefoiled windows. Between the second and third windows from the east, is a gabled porch with a doorway having outer jambs with attached shafts, crowned by reset C12 scalloped capitals, much decayed; on the left end is a C19 lancet, and on the west wall a small C13 pointed window; to the left of the window a C19 door within a pointed arched opening of two orders with hood-mould enriched with dog-tooth ornament.
North transept: reset C13 window of chalk has two lancet lights with a circular light over. Two C19 lancet windows in the east wall.
South transept: east wall; two windows. The window on the right is C14, with two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a pointed head, with moulded labels. The window on the left is C13, with two lancets.
South wall: chequered stone and flint with a C19, three-light cusped window with reticulated traceried head and C14 jambs. Carved in this wall are numerous C17 and C18 graffiti in the form of names and initials; there are two sun-dials similarly carved. A small C19 plank door in pointed arched opening on west return.
Chancel: East wall: Three chalk C13 lancet windows with a circular light over the centre one; chamfered jambs with rebates for shutters; much restored.
Interior: part of the C12 church survives in the Norman arch which stands on the south side of the tower. Chancel has a four-bay barrel ribbed and boarded roof. On the east wall between the lancet windows are tall pointed recesses with continuous roll moulded arrises. Two-bay C19 arcades with pointed arches open into the north and south transepts. In the south-east corner of the chancel is a C13 double piscina, restored, with a central, marble, detached shaft, with a moulded capital and base; corresponding attached shafts to the responds and moulded trefoiled arches. The chancel arch is pointed with two hollow-chamfered orders carried on semi-octagonal responds, with C15 moulded capitals and bases. At the south-east of the south transept is a pointed piscina with sunk, quarter-round jambs and a circular basin now cut off flush with the wall. Opening from the south transept to the south aisle, is a stilted drop arch of two sunk quarter-round orders. The nave has an arched braced collar roof, the nave arcades are each of two bays with pointed arches on central columns of Romanesque design.
Monuments: below the south window in the south transept is the remains of a C14 segmental-headed tomb recess. On the north wall under the tower, a marble monument to Constantine Phipps Miles d.1728. It has a moulded plinth and base, open pediment on brackets, surmounted by an urn. A brass set in a marble slab on the floor at the east end of the nave to Margaret, wife of john Hilk, d.1465. On the west wall of the south transept is a carved marble cartouche with an inscription to the memory of William Neile d.1670 which states that he was a Fellow of the Royal Society and a privy councillor to King Charles II.
Listing NGR: SU8547977517
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings