History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Magna Carta House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wraysbury, Windsor and Maidenhead

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4472 / 51°26'50"N

Longitude: -0.5638 / 0°33'49"W

OS Eastings: 499904

OS Northings: 173005

OS Grid: SU999730

Mapcode National: GBR F91.88V

Mapcode Global: VHFTH.5WTF

Entry Name: Magna Carta House

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117646

English Heritage Legacy ID: 40701

Location: Wraysbury, Windsor and Maidenhead, TW19

County: Windsor and Maidenhead

Civil Parish: Wraysbury

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Wraysbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Wraysbury

Summary

Original house 1834, built by George Simon Harcourt to commemorate the sealing signing of Magna Carta.

Description

Original house 1834, built by George Simon Harcourt to commemorate the sealing of Magna Carta. Small irregular stone house, 'Norman' style, many gables, open porch. High pitched Welsh slate roofs, cylindrical stone chimneys. Windows, round headed, chamfered and moulded surrounds, some paired under drip moulds. Large extension, early C20, similar style, painted brick walls, Welsh slate roofs, similar pitch matching chimneys. Two storeys, irregular fenestration closely related to original. Interior: much imported Jacobean panelling of good quality. A little later stained glass. Stone chimney pieces, one round arched, one square and hooded. Octagonal fixed wooden table with turned legs with circular commemorative stone let into top, situated in Magna Carta Room.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/06/2015

History

Magna Carta House was built by George Simon Harcourt in 1834 to commemorate the sealing of Magna Carta.

Magna Carta, which means ‘Great Charter’, was sealed at Runnymede on 15th June 1215. This was an agreement between King John and his barons and clergy which, for the first time, made the monarch subject to the laws of the land. It also gave free men the right to justice and a fair trial. Over the subsequent 800 years it has influenced many constitutional documents including the United States’ Bill of Rights.

Runnymede today is a memorial landscape to the on-going struggle for democracy and liberty.

Reasons for Listing

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.