History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clarence Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Windsor, Windsor and Maidenhead

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4801 / 51°28'48"N

Longitude: -0.613 / 0°36'46"W

OS Eastings: 496414

OS Northings: 176597

OS Grid: SU964765

Mapcode National: GBR F8L.1V2

Mapcode Global: VHFTG.B295

Entry Name: Clarence Hotel

Listing Date: 20 April 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117770

English Heritage Legacy ID: 40406

Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4

County: Windsor and Maidenhead

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle Without

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Windsor

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Clewer St Stephen with Spital

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Windsor

Listing Text

SU9676NW
27-0/2/10002

WINDSOR
CLARENCE ROAD
(North side)
No.9
Clarence Hotel

GV
II

House, now hotel. 1828-30, for James Bedborough; extended in circa late C19. London stock
brick in Flemish bond; partly stuccoed west side. Slate hipped roofs with low brick parapets.
Brick axial stacks with yellow clay pots. PLAN: Rectangular 3-bay house; the large end house
of a crescent of villas, Nos.2-11 Clarence Crescent [qv]. In circa late C19 [after 1878] it was
extended in a similar style by three bays on the north side and by two bays on the east side.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 3:2 bay south front, the right-hand 2 bays are the late C19 extension.
Stucco plinth and bands at first and second floor levels. 4-pane sashes with flat brick arches and
stuccoed cills, those in extension on right have slightly cambered arches. Doorways to left and
right of centre. Left-hand [west] return facing Clarence Crescent: 3:3 bays, the right-hand three
bays the original house, stuccoed on the ground and first floors with giant pilasters flanking a
late C19 2-storey canted bay window; three small 4-pane sashes above; late C19 extension on
left has similar canted bay to right, sashes on left and above. The east side is stuccoed and blind.
INTERIOR not inspected.
NOTE: This house was built between 1828 and 1830 by James Bedborough, as his own house.
It is the end house of Clarence Crescent [qv], which he built, together with No.10 Clarence
Road [qv], as a development of villas with their own pleasure gardens opposite. James
Bedborough was a stonemason, builder and Mayor of Windsor.

Listing NGR: SU9641476597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.