This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8171 / 51°49'1"N
Longitude: -0.885 / 0°53'6"W
OS Eastings: 476953
OS Northings: 213748
OS Grid: SP769137
Mapcode National: GBR C1H.519
Mapcode Global: VHDV3.LLZD
Entry Name: Eythrope Pavilion
Listing Date: 29 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117798
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42257
Location: Waddesdon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Waddesdon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Waddesdon with Over Winchendon and Fleet Marston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 71 SE WADDESDON EYTHROPE
7/111 Eythrope Pavilion
House. 1876-79, much extended to north 1950s and altered c. 1990. Original building by George Devey for Alice de Rothschild. Red and vitreous brick, ashlar
dressings steeply pitched tiled roofs. Style combines French and
English Renaissance features. Plinth, moulded cornice on Tuscan
pilasters with ornamental capitals and carved lugs, panelled brick
parapet with stone pilasters and ball finials. Tudor chimneys with
variously patterned circular and octagonal shafts. One storey and
attic, 3 bays.
EXTERIOR: Canted projection to left of E. front has ornamental
gable with carved stone pilaster strips and friezes, flanking scrolls
and carved lion finial. Right bay has more curvilinear gable with
scrolls, segmental pediment and ball finials. To ground floor of right
bay is a semi-circular bay window with stone balustrade. Stone mullion
and transom windows with central arched lights. Centre bay has 3 stone
architrave arches with keyblocks, the central arch with door and flanking
columns. To centre of S. front is a 2-storey semi-circular bay window
breaking through the eaves, with a tall spire above. To left a large 3-light Mullion and transom window inserted c. 1990, with small side arch to loggia beyond. W. front has ornamental gable to left,2-storey bay window to centre,semi circular chimney with two tall projecting brick stacks added c.1990, arched loggia to right of attic and attic windows in French oeil-de-boeuf dormers.
INTERIORS: Contains imported late-eighteenth centuary French 'boiserie' panels in the former Blue Dining Room and in the Dining Room. This latter room also containf imported late- eighteenth century French panels. Simple Classic style interior decoration in the main reception rooms and French style marble fire plces. Curved staircase with iron balustrade inserted c. 1950.
HISTORY: BEcause the proximity of the river was considered a health hazard, especailly at night, the original building was designed as a day pavillion with living rooms, kitchen and housekeeper's rooms but no other bedrooms, Alice de Rothschild always spending the nioght at Waddesdon Manor.
Listing NGR: SP7695313748
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings