This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8769 / 51°52'36"N
Longitude: -0.64 / 0°38'24"W
OS Eastings: 493715
OS Northings: 220690
OS Grid: SP937206
Mapcode National: GBR F3Q.70J
Mapcode Global: VHFRH.V2HZ
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 18 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42135
Location: Slapton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Slapton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Slapton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 92 SW SLAPTON CHURCH ROAD
1/150 Church of The Holy Cross
Parish church. Originally late C13-early C14, much altered late
C15, chancel mostly rebuilt early C19, other C19 restorations.
Tower is of dressed chalky stone with some flint; nave and aisles are
rendered; chancel is of chequer brick with ironstone plinth. Lead
roofs except for tiled chancel. Chancel, nave, aisles, W. tower, N. porch
and C19 N. vestry. C15 W. tower of 2 stages has battlemented parapet,
diagonal buttresses and 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber.
3-light cusped window over W. door, both openings with 4-centred arches.
Nave has plain parapet and 3-bay clerestory of 2-light cusped windows
with depressed heads. Aisles extend to west, flanking part of tower, and
have moulded parapets and 3-light cusped windows with flat heads, 3 to
S., 2 to N. Low doorways between W. windows have chamfered 2-centred arches,
that to N. in rendered porch. Chancel has C19 traceried windows in
Decorated style: 2 2-light to S., one to N., and 3-light E. window with
reticulated tracery. Lean-to vestry to N. Interior is of dressed clunch
with plastered spandrels and aisle walls. Tower arch is double chamfered,
the inner order on moulded corbels. Nave arcades are of 4 bays with
double chamfered and stopped arches on octagonal piers with moulded
caps, the W. arches being narrower than remainder. Both nave and aisle roofs
are late C15 with moulded beams, restored. N. aisle also has wide recess
in E. wall with shallow pointed head, and niche with 4-centred arch above.
Chancel arch is late C13, double chamfered on semi-octagonal piers with
moulded cape. C19 aumbry and piscina. Fittings Circular font with
altered moulded base, probably C13; C17 communion table, altered; C19 glass
in chancel; other fittings C19. Brasses to Reginald Manser 1462,
Thomas Knyghton 1522, and to James Tornay 1519.
RCHM II p. 264-5.
Listing NGR: SP9371520690
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings