This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7658 / 51°45'56"N
Longitude: -0.9267 / 0°55'36"W
OS Eastings: 474165
OS Northings: 208003
OS Grid: SP741080
Mapcode National: GBR C21.6JR
Mapcode Global: VHDV8.WWG6
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43123
Location: Haddenham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Haddenham
Built-Up Area: Haddenham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Haddenham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 70 NW and SP7408 HADDENHAM CHURCH END
6 and 11/186 Parish Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Probably C12, but mostly early C13. Coursed rubblestone
with ashlar dressings. Old tile roofs. Chancel, nave of 4 bays and west
tower. North and south aisles widened in C14. North porch C14. North
east chapel rebuilt late C15. South east chapel largely reconstructed.
C19 east triplet of lancets; lancets to chancel side walls. Aisles with
flowing C14 tracery to 2 north and central south windows, other windows
C15, west one on south with flat head. North east chapel with C15 4-
centre arched windows, 3-light to east, 5-light to north. West wall of
aisles with trefoil windows. West Tower of 3 stages, lowest with set back
buttresses. C13 window with modern lancets to middle stage. 5 bay
arcades to belfry stage, 2nd and 4th as belfry windows. Parapets to
roofs, except crenellated north porch with doors of 1637 (inscribed
'G.V., T.C. 1637'). Interior: Arches of 2 chamfered orders into chancel,
chapels, nave arcades, 3 orders to tower arch, the outer 2 dying into
the jambs. Moulded capitals. C18 coved plaster nave ceiling. C14
roof above. Font Mid C12 in form of fluted bowl with dragon frieze.
C15 traceried screens into north east chapel and tower, probably part of
rood screen. Pews with C15 poppy head bench ends. 3 piscinae, that to
north-east chapel with diaper ornament. C15 stained glass in north east
chapel east window, apostle figures and fragments. 3 small brasses in chancel.
Wall monuments: 1627 Richard Beake, north-east chapel, Corinthian columns
and entablature; 1677 John Marriott, chancel, oval with enriched foliage
frame and arms over; 1702 Mary and Thomas Rose, nave south aisle, tablet with
cornice and putto to apron.
RCHM I. 176. MON.1.
Listing NGR: SP7416208002
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings