This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7974 / 51°47'50"N
Longitude: -0.8915 / 0°53'29"W
OS Eastings: 476540
OS Northings: 211548
OS Grid: SP765115
Mapcode National: GBR C1P.9FL
Mapcode Global: VHDV9.H2KZ
Entry Name: Dinton Castle
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43080
Location: Dinton-with-Ford and Upton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Dinton-with-Ford and Upton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stone with Dinton and Hartwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 71 SE DINTON-WITH-FORD AND OXFORD ROAD
UPTON (north side)
3/143 Dinton Castle
Sham castle or folly, now ruinous, built as eyecatcher from
grounds of Dinton Hall (q.v.) in 1769 for Sir John Vanhattern.
Rubblestone with stone string courses, openings mostly cement
architraved, except above entrance which has stone dressed
window opening. Octagonal plan with circular towers at east and
west. 2 storeys, the towers carried up to 3 storeys. Doorway in
remains of porch in south face of octagon with depressed 2-centred
brick arch. First floor tall ogee headed windows. Strings between
storeys and at base of parapet. Parapet now mostly gone. Towers have
strings between storeys with blank pointed headed loop windows.
Walls have many ammonite fossils from the local limestone beds.
Interior brick lined. West tower had fireplaces at each storey and east
tower had newel staircase.
Listing NGR: SP7654011548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings