This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.854 / 50°51'14"N
Longitude: -2.0902 / 2°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 393743
OS Northings: 106058
OS Grid: ST937060
Mapcode National: GBR 30X.6D0
Mapcode Global: FRA 66HV.5H5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118488
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103774
Location: Tarrant Rushton, Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Tarrant Rushton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Tarrant Monkton with Tarrant Launceston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 90 NW
26.6.53 Church of St Mary
Parish church, early C12 origin; nave extended late C12; early C14 chancel,
transepts and small west tower; C15 porch; C19 north vestry and restoration.
Flint and rubble walls, part chequerwork and part banded, part rendered.
Greensand and heathstone ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs. Greek cross plan
with north and south transepts, chancel nave, south porch, west tower and
north vestry. West tower: single stage with pyramidal, tiled roof; C14
3-light west window with reticulated tracery. Vestry has pointed chamfered
door and single-trefoiled-light window. North transept: reset C13 lancet
west; C14 pointed, 2-light window; C15 east window with square head and
Perpendicular tracery under a label with stops in the form of grotesque
masks. Chancel; C14 north window with pointed head, 2 lights and reticulated
tracery; similar window to south wall with further small trefoiled window
west; restored, pointed east window with reticulated tracery: South transept:
square-headed, C15, 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and label
with King and bishop stops; south window of 2-lights under a square head with
jambs tapering towards top. South porch has moulded, pointed arch with
continuous jambs and a depressed ogee rere-arch. South face of tower bears
carved stone cross.
Interior features: restored C12 round headed chancel arch of one plain order;
C14 pointed transept arches of 2 chamfered orders, the innermost dying into
the responds; pointed, chamfered tower arch ; C17 north transept roof of 3
arch-braced collar trusses with apex pendants springing from carved timber
brackets; C19 queen-strut roofs to nave and south transept (south transept
possibly C18); chancel arch flanked by C14 pierced stone hagioscopes;
further traceried hagioscope to north ; C14 Decorated niche and piscina in
chancel; C18 turned communion rails ; C16 south doorway has reused C12
sculptured lintel of Angus Dei with seated figures; C20 pews and pulpit;
wall monument of 1765 to Richard Lawrence rector. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV,
p,l12/3, no.1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset,
Listing NGR: ST9374306058
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings