This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6248 / 50°37'29"N
Longitude: -2.5048 / 2°30'17"W
OS Eastings: 364386
OS Northings: 80689
OS Grid: SY643806
Mapcode National: GBR PX.6FM3
Mapcode Global: FRA 57MF.5ZF
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105226
Location: Chickerell, West Dorset, Dorset, DT3
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Chickerell
Built-Up Area: Chickerell
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Chickerell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 68 SW CHICKERELL NORTH SQUARE
6/107 Parish Church of St Mary
Parish Church. C13 Chancel and Nave. 1722, south Porch rebuilt. 1804 Chancel
walls lowered. 1834, north Aisle added. North Vestry, C20. Chancel restored
in 1865, further restorations in 1875 and 1896. Rubble-stone walls with stone
dressings. Slate roofs. Chancel: C13 3-light east window. South wall, two C19
windows, and a blocked C13 doorway between with continuous chamfered jambs and
2-centred head. C20 doorway in north wall to Vestry. Nave: south wall has a
chamfered plinth, and a moulded string close under the eaves. High up at east
end, small single light window with an ogee opening and pierced spandrels in a
square head. Large C15 window, east of porch, of 3 cinquefoiled lights with
vertical tracery in a distorted 2-centred head. Label with head-stops. Altered
2-light window, C14, west of porch. Gabled west wall has a central buttress in
3 stages, and an ashlar bellcote with 2 round-headed openings under a gablet. South
porch, entrance has a chamfered segmental head and chamfered jambs. Small stone tab-
let over with the initials and date IH 1722. North aisle, stone tablet over the
west doorway inscribed 'This aisle built 1834 by subscription'. End walls with
2-light-windows. North wall with a 3-light window, all with simple intersecting
tracery in 2-centred heads. Interior: Nave, north wall entirely removed and
replaced by 3 C19 cast-iron columns. Chancel-arch, late C13, rebuilt and widened,
2-centred and of 2 orders, inner hollow-chamfered, and the outer chamfered, with
roll-moulded stops. Fittings: Font, circular tub-shaped bowl with nearly straight
sides, shallow band of fluted label-ornament under the rim, 3 incised lines bands
of bead and interlace round the lower part, C12, on modern cylindrical stem.
Gallery across full width of church, 1834. Pulpit, six-sided, oak with fluted
and reeded styles, sides divided into 3 tiers. One panel carved with date and
initials'1630 RW.IM'. Monument: Purbeck marble slab with incised figure of priest,
C15, cut--down and reset on modern corbels.
(RCHM Dorset II, p.38 (1)).
Listing NGR: SY6438680689
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings