This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8376 / 50°50'15"N
Longitude: -2.4848 / 2°29'5"W
OS Eastings: 365955
OS Northings: 104340
OS Grid: ST659043
Mapcode National: GBR MW.WG8L
Mapcode Global: FRA 56PW.FRD
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118823
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104902
Location: Minterne Magna, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Minterne Magna
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Minterne Magna St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 60 SE MINTERNE MAGNA MINTERNE MAGNA VILLAGE
8/172 26-1-56 Church of St Andrew
Parish Church. Chancel and nave early C15, north chapel 1610-20,
west tower 1800 and 1894, general restoration 1894. Chapel probably
for Sir Robert Napier. Restoration of chancel and aisle by H.C. Sturt.
Walls of banded flint and rubble and rubble with Ham Hill stone ashlar
dressings, chapel in ashlar. Tiled, gable-ended roofs with stone
copings bearing finials. Nave has stone slate verges. Plan: chancel,
nave, west tower, north chapel. West tower: 2 stages separated by
strings with embattled parapet and crocketted pinnicles; parapet
string bears gargoules and stylized foliage; angle pilaster strips;
first stage has blind 2-centred arches to north and south and 2-centred,
moulded west door; second stage has 2-centred windows with pierced
stone panels, nave wall; windows separated by Cl9 2-stage buttresses
with carved gabled tops; central C19, 4-centred perpendicular, 3-light
window flanked by similar 2-light C15 windows under 2-centred heads.
Chancel: south wall has 2 square headed, 2-light Perpendicular windows
flanking a 2-centred door; east window of 3-lights with perpendicular
tracery under a 2-centred head; north window similar to the south
windows. Chapel: north window of 5-lights with 4-centred heads, the
central one being raised,with a stepped, returned label over: west window
of 4 4-centred lights with a square head and ovolo-moulded mullions;
west door with 4-centred head. South nave window is of 2-lights under
a 2-centred head with Perpendicular tracery. Interior features:
moulded, 2-centred chancel arch with continuous jambs; moulded,
elliptical chapel arch: tower arch part concealed, flat responds;
C19 scissor-braced roofs with cusping to nave and chancel springing
from carved corbels; C19 chapel roof with arch-braced cambered collar
springing from wall-plate with carved leaves; seating with carved
bench ends of 1897; C19 octagonal pulpit; piscina with 2-centred head
in nave; C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils containing carving on
modern base; various C17, C18, C19 and C20 monuments notably to the
Napiers in the chapel with broken pediment on Corinthian columns flanked
by weepers by Robert Taylor senior early C18 and to Charles Churchill
1714 in the nave with massed trophies of arms; some C15 glass in nave.
RCHM, Dorset, vol I, pp 167-168, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England; Dorset, Penguin,1972, p 295. Kelly's Directory
of Dorsetshire 1899.
Listing NGR: ST6595504340
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings