This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7827 / 50°46'57"N
Longitude: -2.3198 / 2°19'11"W
OS Eastings: 377549
OS Northings: 98177
OS Grid: SY775981
Mapcode National: GBR 0YQ.VQB
Mapcode Global: FRA 6710.L35
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119107
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106241
Location: Dewlish, Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Dewlish
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Milborne St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 70 NE CHURCH STREET (South
5/53 Church of All Saints
Anglican Parish Church. C12 origin, altered and enlarged in C14, C15 and
C16. Restored 1872, Architect T H Wyatt, when south aisle remodelled and
organ chamber added. Walls mainly of rubble stone and flint. Nave roof
slated. Aisles and chancel stone slated with some coped gables. Nave,
north aisle of 3 bays, south aisle of 3 bays; chancel with organ chamber on
north, west tower, porch and vestry west of north aisle. Tower, of rubble
stone, of 2 stages, has moulded plinth and battlemented parapet. Moulded
string courses at base of parapet and below belfry. Belfry windows, blocked
in brick, of 2 lights with Perpendicular tracery. In south wall of nave,
west of the aisle, a 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery. South
aisle, altered in 1872, has a reset C12 doorway in west wall, with segmental
arch and chevron ornament. In south wall 3 paired lancets with traceried
heads. In east wall a 2-light window with geometrical tracery. In south
wall of chancel a 2-light square headed window with cinquefoil lights. East
window of 3-lights, with curvilinear tracery. East window of organ chamber
of 2-lights, square headed, with cinquefoil lights. In north wall of organ
chamber 2 single light square headed windows and a moulded arched doorway.
In north aisle wall remains of blocked doorway and two 3-light square-headed
windows, one with reticulated tracery, one with plain arched lights. Porch,
C18, of brick and stone banding with tiled roof, has round arched doorway.
Inner doorway C12, with pointed segmental arch and C18 oak door. Vestry,
west of porch, C19, of brick and stone banding with tiled roof. Internal
walls plastered. Chancel has shallow segmental plaster ceiling. Good C18
monument on south wall. Choirstalls made up of C17 oak panelling. C17 oak
pulpit. Nave roof of arch braced collar-beam form. North arcade, C16, has
arches with panelled soffits. In north aisle a large Gothic Revival
Monument 1886 to Sir John Mitchell. Some C17 panelling below this. South
arcade, 1872, has circular columns with moulded caps. South aisle roof of
arch braced collar beam and king-post form. Simple C13 circular font (RCHM
Monument 1 Dorset Vol III. Buildings of England Dorset. Newman and
Listing NGR: SY7754998177
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings