This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6884 / 50°41'18"N
Longitude: -2.4604 / 2°27'37"W
OS Eastings: 367571
OS Northings: 87741
OS Grid: SY675877
Mapcode National: GBR PY.77N3
Mapcode Global: FRA 57Q8.58K
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Simon and St Jude
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106009
Location: Winterborne Monkton, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Winterborne Monkton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Winterbourne Monkton and Winterbourne Herrringston St Simon and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 68 NE WINTERBORNE MONKTON
5/115 Parish Church
of St Simon and
Parish Church. C13, chancel and nave, structurally undivided.
C15 north porch added and subsequently rebuilt. c.1500 west
tower added. Early C16, south arcade built and south aisle
added. 1870 restoration included the rebuilding of the north
wall of the chancel and nave east of porch. c.1875 addition
of an organ chamber south of the chancel. Rubble stone walls
with freestone dressings. Lead and slate roofs. Chancel:
at the corners of the east wall and in the centre are restored
pilaster buttresses; greater part of the wall rebuilt in C15
with a heavy moulded plinth. The C15 east window is of 3
cinquefoiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head
with a label and head stops. North wall has a restored C16
window of 3 round headed lights in a square head. Nave, north
wall, two windows similar to north window of chancel. Early
C13 north doorway: rounded jambs, segmental arch and hollow
chamfered imposts. South aisle has in the south wall two
restored C16 windows each of 3 four centred lights in a square head.
South doorway now blocked has chamfered jambs and lintel. West wall
has a window uniform with those in south wall. West tower early
C16: 2 stages formerly divided into 3 storeys, moulded plinth,
weathered string between the stages, parapet string and embattled
parapet. Two stage diagonal buttresses. North east corner has a
polygonal stair turret. West window is of two trefoiled ogee
lights with tracery in a pointed head, moulded reveals, label and
headstops. Former second storey has a square headed window in the
east wall, over which the string course rises to form a label.
Bell chamber has in each wall a pair of square headed lights, south
and west restored with horizontal ties of stone. North porch
C15 outer archway with moulded jambs and pointed head. Interior:
early C16 south arcade of 3 bays has 4 centred and moulded arches
springing from piers and half piers as responds, all with attached
shafts having moulded bases and capitals carved with foliage and
roses. Fittings: font, ootagonal with moulded and splayed
bowl, plain stem and C20 base, perhaps C14. Piscina: in chancel,
recess with chamfered jambs, moulded and crocketed ogee head and
projecting base cut back, early C16. Screen, between chancel and nave
C19 but incorporating two lengths of late C14 fretted tracery.
Communion table, with turned legs, moulded upper rails and shaped
brackets, late C17. Royal Arms: nave north wall, of George III
after 1816 painting in moulded frame. Monument and floor slabs,
C17 and C19, see RCHM. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.390 (1)).
Listing NGR: SY6757187741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.