This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6724 / 50°40'20"N
Longitude: -2.3498 / 2°20'59"W
OS Eastings: 375375
OS Northings: 85921
OS Grid: SY753859
Mapcode National: GBR 101.LQX
Mapcode Global: FRA 57Z9.DC2
Entry Name: Warmwell House
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105959
Location: Warmwell, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Warmwell
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Warmwell Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 78 NE WARMWELL -
Manor House in grounds. Early C17, probably by Sir John Trenchard
soon after 1618. The south east part of the house may include the
remains of an earlier building. The north west wing was much altered
in C18 and C19. Early and mid C19 restoration of the south part of the
house. Coursed limestone rubble walls with ashlar facing to the south
front. Roofs are covered with stone slates and tiles, with gables to
ends of ranges, and Dutch gables to the south east. Square stone
stacks, two on each gable coping, circular stacks stand up on from the
step of the Dutch gables. Plan: unusual trivadial plan, with entrance to
south east between two canted wings, see R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p. 328
for the plan and comparisons. 2½ storeys. S E front has 5 windows,
found: 3 : 2 : 2 : 3; front: 3 : 2 : 4 : 2 : 5, gables: 2 : 3 : 2
(blocked), chamfered stone mullions, transomed on the ground floor.
Moulded plinth and moulded string courses above the windows. Iron
and metal casements with glazing-bars. In the middle is an open recessed
porch entered by an arcade of 2 round arches enriched and partly moulded
springing from a Tuscan central column and attached half columns
at the responds. The arcade is framed by half columns and with a de-
based entablature. Inserted tablet over carved with crest of Richards.
Inner doorway has a four centred head and continuous stop chamfered
jambs and is flanked by shell headed niches. The north east end of the
house is irregular with three straight sided gables at different angles.
The stair-case wing under the middle gable has a doorway with four centred
head and mullioned windows mostly restored. The north west wing has the
external wall to the east patched and heightened in C18 brick. Rendered
stack at the gable end. Two storeys. 3 windows, 2 light with moulded
labels, of early C19, though a reset doorway recessed behind an archway
is C17. Interior: between entrance hall and stair hall is a reset
stone archway, C17, semi circular and enriched with resettes and springing
from enriched imposts; jambs moulded with 3 rolls, probably medieval.
Main stair case, stone with stone balustrading between rectangular piers
supporting columns which carry the upper floor. Dining room has a restored
late C16 oak fireplace with flanking terminal figures and enriched
mantel shelf and ornamental divided into 3 bays by winged terminal figures
two holding shields, centre panel has a small picture. Oak Room:
reset C17 panelling. Fireplace has a restored arched stone head, flanked by
pairs of oak ionic columns. Long gallery has early C17 panelling
with enriched frieze and modern cornice. Doorways with moulded oak frame
Drawing Room remodelled in early C19. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p. 327 (2)).
Listing NGR: SY7537585921
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings