This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.857 / 50°51'25"N
Longitude: -2.5754 / 2°34'31"W
OS Eastings: 359595
OS Northings: 106550
OS Grid: ST595065
Mapcode National: GBR MR.V9BL
Mapcode Global: FRA 56HT.VWX
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119274
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105822
Location: Melbury Bubb, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Melbury Bubb
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Melbury Bubb St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 50 NE
of St Mary
Parish Church. South Tower, later C15. Nave and chancel C15, rebuilt in 1854,
probably by Withers of Sherborne. Rubble-stone walls, with ashlar stone
dressings. Slate roofs, with stone gable-copings. South tower, of four stages,
with ground stage as porch entrance to church. Diagonal buttresses. Doorway
in the south hall has jambs and pointed-arch head of two chamfered orders.
Second stage, east wall: window of one trefoiled light. String-course. Third
stage has in middle of each face a standard set diagonally, resting on half-
angels holding shields. Above this, a frieze of quatrefoils enclosing paterae,
shields, the initials B. and W. B. on the south face, for Walter Bokeler,
rector, c.1470-80. Bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, stone tracery to the louvres.
Embattled parapet, with a small pinnacle to each central merlon. The stair
turret is an addition of later date than the remainder of the tower. Chancel,
rebuilt in C19, of 2 bays with diagonal buttresses. Side windows are of 2 lights,
cinquefoil-cusped with cusped panel tracery over, casement-moulded reveals.
Moulded label with head-stops. Priest's door to chancel, with moulded jambs
and pointed-arch head. Plank door. East window: C15 reset. 3-light with
ogee trefoil cusping. Two main panels over, with falchions. Small C19 niche
in gable-head. Nave, 3 bays, C19 rebuild. The south-east window is of 3 lights
and retains parts of old tracery; the second window on the north has an C15
head of 3 trefoiled lights with panel tracery; the western pair of windows have
C15 heads of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights with panel tracery. West window has
Y-tracery and panel-tracery head. Blocked doorway beneath, with moulded jambs
and pointed head, C19 label. Interior: Nave, roof has high collar, waggon-
braced, short king-post and longitudinal plate. Fleuron bosses at the
intersections. Chancel, roof of mansard profile, compartmented and bossed at
the intersections, C19. Chancel-arch, with moulded jambs continuous into
pointed arch stepped and pyramid stops, C19. Fittings: Font, cylindrical
tapering stone bowl, reversed, formerly base of a shaft, carved with continuous
design of beasts: stag, horse, wolf, and ? lion, and lesser beasts, and
interlacement, C10. Stained glass: late C15. East window, shields of arms
of Wane and Mattravers,symbols of the 4 evangelists, crowns, inscription. N window,
centre, Annunciation with figures of Virgin and St Gabriel. N.W. window, small
head of Christ and panels of Wise and Foolish Virgins, with inscriptions. Main
lights, figure of Christ with 5 wounds originally carried as rays to 7 sacraments'
panels. Ordination survives. W. window tracery, C15 glass.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.158(1))
Listing NGR: ST5959406550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings