This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9876 / 50°59'15"N
Longitude: -2.5394 / 2°32'21"W
OS Eastings: 362238
OS Northings: 121049
OS Grid: ST622210
Mapcode National: GBR MT.L0GP
Mapcode Global: FRA 56KH.QHX
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119333
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105662
Location: Sandford Orcas, Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sandford Orcas
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sandford Orcas St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 6220 -
15/120 Parish Church of
31.7.61 St Nicholas
Parish Church. C14 chancel. Nave and south chapel rebuilt C15. West
tower and south porch added C15. North aisle added 1871, when church
restored. Caused rubble-stone walls. Stone slate roofs with stone
gable-copings, and crosses at apices. Chancel has a C15 east window
of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a 2-centred head.
Moulded label and head stops. C14 trefoiled rear arch. North wall
has 2 early C14 windows, eastern of 2 trefoiled ogee lights, with a
quatrefoil in a pointed head. Label over. West window is a single
pointed light with a label. South wall has 2 windows similar to the
north-east window. Early C14 doorway has chamfered jambs, pointed arch
and label. Nave of 3 bays, with one bay of south chapel. South chapel
has a C15 east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in
a pointed head. Moulded reveals and label. South wall has a C15 window
of 4 cinquefoiled lights in a square head with moulded reveals. The
west wall has a partly restored doorway. South porch has a C15 outer
archway with double responds, moulded capitals and bases. Inner doorway
has bracket-moulded jambs, stopped. Plank-and-muntin door, with strap
hinges, C19. West Tower: 3 storeys, with an embattled parapet and
gargoyles. The west doorway has moulded jambs and 2-carved arch in a
square head, foliage spandrels and one remaining head-stop. West window
of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head.
Bell-chamber has windows of 2 trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a
pointed head. Label and head-stops. North aisle, 3 three-light, windows
with buttresses, between, and diagonal corner buttresses. Interior: north
arcade has respond-shafted piers, foliage capitals and pointed arches.
Moulded tower-arch springs from moulded responds. Roof, of nave: arch-
braced collar construction carried on stone corbels, C19. Chancel, C19
pointed wagon roof. South chapel: compartmented ceiling having fleurons
with quatrefoil surrounds. Chancel-arch, C15 much restored. Fittings:
font, round stone bowl with rounded underside, bowl enriched with large
vertical flutings, finished with a scalloped edge, moulded necking,
cylindrical stem and base, C13. Piscinae, chancel C13. South chapel,
C15. Screen: in tower-arch, 3 bays including central doorway, oak, C15.
Monuments: in south chapel, to Knoyle, Hutchings and Medlicott families,
especially that to William Knoyle 1607-8, painted alabaster wall-monument.
Communion Table, C17. (RCHM, Dorset I, p 194(1)).
Listing NGR: ST6223921046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings