This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7992 / 50°47'57"N
Longitude: -2.6605 / 2°39'37"W
OS Eastings: 353547
OS Northings: 100167
OS Grid: ST535001
Mapcode National: GBR MM.YZR1
Mapcode Global: FRA 569Z.KB9
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105455
Location: Hooke, West Dorset, Dorset, DT8
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Hooke
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Hooke St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 50 SW HOOKE HOOKE VILLAGE
2/130 Parish Church of
11.11.66 St Giles
Parish Church. C15 nave. Early C16 south chapel. Chancel
rebuilt 1840 (NP). South tower-porch and vestry, 1874.
Local rubble and ashlar walls, rock-faced masonry to C19
additions. Clay-tile roofs of fish-scale shape. Stone gable-
copings with plain crosses on apices. Chancel, short with
diagonal buttresses. East window of three trefoiled lights
with tracery in a two-centred head with a label. Nave, with
one buttress midway as north. North wall has 2 C15 windows,
both of 3 cinquefoiled lights in square heads, western has a
label with head-stops. West wall has a C15 doorway with
moulded jambs, 4-centred arch in a square head, with a label
and head-stops of a bishop and a king, traceried spandrels
with paterae. South chapel has 3 windows in south wall of
2 four-centred lights in a square head, with moulded reveals
and label. East wall has one of the same. South Tower: 3
stages, divided by strings and with an embattled parapet.
Entrance: pointed-arch with label, 2-leaf plank door. 2nd
stage has a single trefoiled light. Top stage, 2-light cusped,
with panel tracery over. Label returned over. Interior:
Chancel-arch, moulded responds and pointed arch, C19.
Entrance to south chapel: moulded and 3-centred, with responds,
continuous bands of running foliage ornament. On the soffit
is a continuous band of quatrefoils enclosing shields; shield
at the apex bears the arms of Coleshill impaling Cheyney, for
Sir John Coleshill and Elizabeth (Cheyney) his wife. North wall
of the chapel has a restored fireplace-recess. The C15 south
doorway has chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. Fittings:
Font, unusual, elongated hexagonal bowl, set against the wall,
the outer faces with panels enclosing 6-pointed figures, or
quatrefoiled panels enclosing paterae, C15. Cylindrical stem
with moulded capital and base. Niches: North wall of nave,
3-sided canopy with crocketed heads and spine, angel-corbel.
East splay of north-west window, carved bracket. Brass: nave
north wall to Edmond Semar 1523-4, inscription only.
(RCHM Dorset I, p125(1))
Listing NGR: ST5354700168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings