This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7279 / 53°43'40"N
Longitude: -1.6454 / 1°38'43"W
OS Eastings: 423494
OS Northings: 425778
OS Grid: SE234257
Mapcode National: GBR JTYB.LD
Mapcode Global: WHC9Q.PKPH
Entry Name: Bagshaw Museum the Woodlands
Listing Date: 13 May 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469261
Location: Kirklees, WF17
Electoral Ward/Division: Batley West
Built-Up Area: Batley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brownhill St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 22 NW BATLEY WOODLANDS ROAD
(South, off) Wilton Park
Bagshaw Museum (The
House, now museum. 1875, converted 1911. Built for George Sheard to the designs of Walter Hanstock. Coursed rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings. Steep decorated slate roof with coped gables kneelers and finials. Moulded eaves and tall ashlar chimney stacks. Windows linked by moulded impost band. Plinth.2 storey plus attics. Garden front 5 windows with slightly projecting gabled 2 window wing to left. 2 flat headed plain sashes with above 2 pointed sashes, and a single similar window in gable above. Central section has 2 flat heade plain sashes with 2 pointed sashes above. To right slightly projecting gabled wing has single flat headed sash window with pointed window above and small pointed niche in gable with initials. South-east entrance front has 5 window front. Central 4 storey tower with elaborately moulded entrance archway and inner glazed doors, above a single pointed arch window with 2 single similar windows to each upper floor. Tower topped with square copper pyramidal roof topped with ornate iron crown. Gabled wing to left has 2 flat headed windows, with 2 pointed sashes above and a single similar sash in the gable. To right 2 flat headed sashes and above 2 pointed sashes and above 2 gabled dormer windows. Beyond to right a billirad room with tripartite French windows. North-west front has 5 windows. Slightly off-centre gabled projection has single small sash and above tall pointed stair window, above a small pointed sash in gable. Either side 2 plain sashes to ground floor. Above 2 pointed sashes to left and a single similar sash to right. INTERIOR has extremely well preserved Vivtorian decoration. 2 storey central hallway has full height panelling and continuous gallery, glazed curved ceiling, large hooded fireplace. Leading off an elaborate wooden staircase also with similar panelling, single tall stair window with stained glass. Former dining room has full height marquetry panelling, carved foliate frieze, painted coving, wooden pilasters, panelled shutters. Billiard room has similar decoration with fine coved plaster ceiling, wooden pilasters and carved frieze. Former drawing room has remarkably well preserved Victorian painted decoration including doors, doorcases, shutters, frieze and coving plus elaborate panels to plaster ceiling. Upper floors have some original decoration. Service corridors have original dado tiling.
Listing NGR: SE2349425778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings