History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barlow Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Barlow, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7532 / 53°45'11"N

Longitude: -1.023 / 1°1'22"W

OS Eastings: 464519

OS Northings: 428984

OS Grid: SE645289

Mapcode National: GBR PT91.B9

Mapcode Global: WHFD3.8X3K

Entry Name: Barlow Church

Listing Date: 28 May 1998

Last Amended: 14 April 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119755

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469283

Location: Barlow, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

Civil Parish: Barlow

Built-Up Area: Barlow

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brayton St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Barlow

Listing Text

BARLOW

SE 62 NW
MAIN STREET
(northwest side)
1467/5/10004
Barlow Church

II

Church, formerly chapel of ease. C17 restored and altered 1774 and late Cl9. Brick with brick dressings and pantile roof. Brick coped gables and dentilated eaves band. South gable has small square wooden bellcote with lead roof and ornate iron weather vane. Rendered plinth. Rectangular plan. South gable front has single 2-light flat headed window with cusped tracery and lead lattice glazing, above a round headed blind opening. West front has single pilaster buttress and a single 2-light flat headed window with cusped tracery and lead lattice glazing, to the right a single C20 external brick stack. North gable wall has another 2-light window with cusped tracery and lead lattice glazing under a brick segmental arch. East front has single pilaster buttress and off-centre doorway with triple panel door under moulded brick head. To left small single light window with cusped tracery and lead lattice glazing, beyond a single larger 2-light window. INTERIOR: has plain pilaster ceiling and dado panelling. Late C19 wooden pews, lectern and altar. Wooden and wrought iron altar rail. Single wooden charity board dated 1835. Brass war memorial plaque cl920.

Listing NGR: SE6451928984


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.