This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9187 / 50°55'7"N
Longitude: -1.9238 / 1°55'25"W
OS Eastings: 405453
OS Northings: 113247
OS Grid: SU054132
Mapcode National: GBR 41P.6FX
Mapcode Global: FRA 66VP.4BD
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 18 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120181
English Heritage Legacy ID: 107357
Location: Cranborne, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21
District: East Dorset
Civil Parish: Cranborne
Built-Up Area: Cranborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Cranborne with Boveridge St Mary and St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 0513 CHURCH STREET
11/20 Church of St Mary and
Parish church. C12 north doorway and parts of south arcade; C14 main body of
nave and aisles; C19 work by David Brandon. Flint and rubble with ashlar
dressings. Tiled and lead-covered roof, some stone-slated margins. Gable
stone copings. Plan: nave; chancel; north and south aisles; west tower;
north porch, north vestry, south organ chamber. Nave has 2 clerestorey windows
of 3 elliptically headed lights. Aisles have mainly early C14 2-light, windows
with ogee-headed lights; east window of south aisle has early C14 window of 3
graduated, trefoiled lights, adjacent is a C15 4-light square-headed window.
West tower; massive, of five stages separated by moulded strings; diagonal
and square-set buttresses; octagonal south vice-turret; pointed west doorway
in moulded, square surround with label having carved stops; 5-light west
window with Perpendicular tracery under pointed head; small trefoiled windows
to north and south of fourth stage: 2-light belfry windows with Perpendicular
tracery under 4-centred heads. C19 parts have mainly paired lancets. The
east window is of 5 graduated lancets. Reset north doorway has round head
with shafted jambs with scalloped capitals and chevron and nailhead decoration.
Internal features: 6 bay, pointed arcade of 2 chamfered orders, truncated to
the west, on alternating octagonal and shafted piers; C19 pointed, moulded
chancel arch with shafted jambs; C15 plastered waggon-roof with tie-beams;
beamed aisle roofs; C19 waggon roof to chancel; several C14 wall paintings;
late C14 or early C15 circular oak pulpit with panelled sides, blind tracery
and cornice with carved bosses; c1200 stone font with octagonal bowl with
pointed panelled sides on central circular pier surrounded by subsidiary
shafts; some reset medieval glass; a number of important monuments notably to
Sir Edward Hooper 1678, Ann and Katherine Hooper C17, John Elliott 1641 and
John Hawles 1571; a tomb recess in north chancel wall may have been an Easter
Sepulchre. Other fittings largely C19. (RCHM, Dorset, V, p.5-7, no. 1.
Newman, J and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.170-1.)
Listing NGR: SU0545513248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings