This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8689 / 54°52'8"N
Longitude: -1.5114 / 1°30'41"W
OS Eastings: 431453
OS Northings: 552792
OS Grid: NZ314527
Mapcode National: GBR KDW4.LF
Mapcode Global: WHC45.RWG9
Entry Name: Biddick Hall
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120989
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109355
Location: Bournmoor, County Durham, DH3
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Bournmoor
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Burnmoor
Church of England Diocese: Durham
BOURNMOOR LAMBTON PARK
NZ 35 SW
1/2/67 (previously included
in the Civil Parish
of South Biddick)
Small country house. Early C18 incorporating an older structure; east bay
added 1859 (dated rainwater-head); north wing and additions on rear of east
bay 1954-5 by E.M. Lawson and Partners. Main block influenced by and possibly
based on a sketch by Sir John Vanbrugh who worked at Lumley Castle (q.v.) in
1721. Light-red hand-made brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings;
roofs not visible; stone chimneys. Matching later additions in stretcher bond.
Main block double-pile plan with massive spine wall. Baroque style.
2-storey main block; symmetrical 5-bay entrance front with added east bay.
Dressed stone plinth and raised quoins. Central replaced doors and 8-pane
overlight in architrave with cornice hood on enriched consoles. Centre bay
framed by giant fluted Ionic pilasters carrying pediment on entablature with
pulvinated frieze. 12-pane sashes in architraves. 2 fluted lead rainwater
heads with downcomers. Tall, panelled flat-coped parapet above band. Stone
vases on parapet and pediment. Corniced ridge stacks. Set-back added bay.
Similar 5-bay west return, without pilasters and pediment, has oeil-de-boeuf
windows on both storeys of centre bay. Split-level, flat-roofed 1954 rear wing.
Interior of main block: Ground-floor west wall and spine wall c.1.5 metres
thick. Narrow entrance hallway has barrel-vaulted ceiling and archway into
staircase hall with Doric pilasters, archivolt and keystone. 2 rooms flanking
lobby: on east with c.1880 Adam-style decoration and C18 chimneypiece by Henry
Cheere; on west with C18 chimneypiece with rams' heads (Lambton insignia).
Small bedroom behind west room with re-used C17 panelling and a corner
chimneypiece. 2-storey staircase hall: 3-flight open-well cantilevered
staircase with c.1780 wrought-iron balustrade and wreathed handrail; panelled
dado with ramped rail; 4- and 6-panel doors in architraves; egg-and-dart
cornice on ground floor; slightly-coved ceiling with arabesques, swags etc.
(possibly c.1745 by La Francini); Venetian window 1960 by Trenwith Wells. 2
first-floor bedrooms: on south-west with dentilled cornice and dado rail; on
south-east with marble fireplace framed by Corinthian pilasters, a modillion
cornice and Chinese wallpaper. Rear wing with re-used internal features, some
from Lambton Castle (q.v.) including first-floor library with early C19 shelves
and a marble chimneypiece with carved decoration of stacked books.
(Christopher Hussey, "Biddick Hall - Durham", Country Life Volume CXXXIX, 1966).
Listing NGR: NZ3145352792
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings