This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5553 / 54°33'19"N
Longitude: -1.9748 / 1°58'29"W
OS Eastings: 401728
OS Northings: 517787
OS Grid: NZ017177
Mapcode National: GBR GHNR.8T
Mapcode Global: WHB4C.MRVP
Entry Name: The Woodlands
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111269
Location: Lartington, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Lartington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE
(North side, off)
31/100 The Woodlands
Former railway station comprising station master's house, waiting room, ticket
office and wall enclosing toilets; now a private house. Dated 1859 on porch
doorway for the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway Company. Dressed and
ashlar sandstone, weather-boarded waiting room; Welsh slate roofs with bands of
fish-scale tiles; stone chimney stacks. Linked linear plan: L-plan house with
parallel rear wing; station buildings attached to left return of house. Tudor
2-storey house; 2 bays, the left projecting and cross-gabled; porch in re-entrant
angle. Raised quoins and chamfered plinth. Porch: replaced door in pointed,
chamfered surround with keystone dated 1859; 2-light window with shouldered
heads to front. Main block has ovolo-moulded windows in raised surrounds with
alternating jambs: cross window, with 2-light half-dormer above, to right; 5-
light transomed bay window, with 2 light window above, to left. Steeply-pitched
roofs have overhanging verges and eaves with bargeboards and exposed rafters.
Conjoined and corniced ridge stacks with ornamental stone chimney pots.
One-storey, 4-bay waiting room, attached to left of house, has 3-light windows
above weatherboarded dado. Hipped roof with overhanging, bracketed eaves.
One-storey, one-bay, pavilion-like ticket office, attached to left of waiting
room, has pair of cross windows in projecting gabled bay. Steeply-pitched hipped
roof with flat top. Corniced stack rises from rear wall. Short L-plan section
of wall enclosing former toilets, attached to left, has chamfered coping.
Right return of house- stepped external chimney; return bay of rear wing has
two 3-light windows and a low-pitched hipped roof.
Listing NGR: NZ0172817787
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings