This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5564 / 54°33'23"N
Longitude: -1.7873 / 1°47'14"W
OS Eastings: 413853
OS Northings: 517926
OS Grid: NZ138179
Mapcode National: GBR HHYR.VF
Mapcode Global: WHC5L.JQ3V
Entry Name: Westholme Hall
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Last Amended: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111142
Location: Winston, County Durham, DL2
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Winston
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Winston
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 11 NW WINSTON B6274
(West side, off)
5/51 Westholme Hall
7.1.52 (Formerly listed as Westholme)
Manor house. Dated 1606, for John Dowthet; restored 1892. Sandstone rubble
with dressed quoins; pantiled roofs with triple course of sandstone flags at
eaves; ashlar stacks. H-plan.
3 storeys. 3-bay gabled centre with projecting, single-bay gabled cross wings.
Centre has doorway with ovolo-moulded jambs and jewelled stops within late Cl9
solid gabled porch in right bay. 6-light mullioned-and-transomed hall window
under stone relieving arch to left of door. Other windows 2-,3- and 4-light
stone mullioned-and-transomed, with leaded lights, some restored. Gables have
moulded coping and pyramidal finials; multi-faced sundial on central gable.
Similar windows on other facades. Left return has central external stack, stepped
above eaves; right return has similar stack corbelled on first floor. Two gabled
projecting staircase towers to rear, the right rebuilt. Steeply-pitched roof
has late C19 corniced end stacks and several similar ridge stacks.
Interior: main hall has five stone doorways with chamfered reveals and four-
centred heads; wide Tudor-arched fireplace in square surround with inscription:
1606 JOHN DOWTHET in spandrels. Former Great Chamber, now Upper Hall, has 6
similar doorways and small Tudor-arched fireplace; ornamental plaster frieze
and two raised plaster shields of the Scrope family below; late Cl9 wood gallery.
Kitchen has wide segmental stone fiiqplacearch with chamfered arris and jewelled
stops. Several four-centred stone'doorways, small Tudor-arched fireplaces and
two C17 doors.
Late Cl9 - early C20 extensions, attached outbuildings and detached farmbuildings
to rear not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1385317926
Other nearby listed buildings