This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5476 / 54°32'51"N
Longitude: -1.6333 / 1°37'59"W
OS Eastings: 423818
OS Northings: 516991
OS Grid: NZ238169
Mapcode National: GBR KH1V.6L
Mapcode Global: WHC5N.WYFL
Entry Name: Thornton Hall
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1121221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110829
Location: High Coniscliffe, Darlington, DL2
Civil Parish: High Coniscliffe
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Coniscliffe
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 21 NW HIGH CONISCLIFFE B6279 (Staindrop Road)
(North side, off)
5/106 Thornton Hall
Manor house now farmhouse. Front range c.1550 for Ralph Tailbois; c.1630 rear
range for Sir Francis Bowes; C18 and c.1880 alterations and additions. Coursed
rubble. Ridged concrete tiles and Welsh slates. Stone chimneys. Hall and
projecting cross wing to right (left cross wing has been removed). 2-storey
extruded porch at right of hall. Added right rear range. Narrower rear
extension at left. Small c.1880 one-storey addition to left of hall block.
Front range: 2 storeys plus attics; gabled hall and cross wing, both 2 bays
wide; porch at junction. Porch has bolection-moulded doorway, sash and parapet
with blank shields and gargoyles. Blocked round-headed light on left return of
porch. First-floor sashes in moulded C18 surrounds, blocked in end bays.
3-light, partly-blocked mullioned windows, with arched heads under hoodmoulds,
in attics. Embattled parapet at left and between gables. Steeply-pitched roof
with coped gables. Corniced left end stack. Tall stack on valley to right.
3-storey right return of 2 builds with straight joint. Wider 2-bay front
section: bolection-moulded doorway with pulvinated frieze and scrolled pediment;
sashes and blocked cross windows in architraves, all but one under scrolled
pediments; steeply-pitched roof behind parapet. 2-bay later rear section:
3-light mullioned-and-transomed windows, mostly part-blocked or sashed; floating
cornices over with centres forming triangular pediments on ground floor and
semicircular pediments on first floor; 4-pane light in eared architrave below
eaves; low-pitched roof.
Irregular left return: behind gable end of hall range is another gabled extension
with chamfered window surrounds; main rear range has blocked or sashed 2- and
3-light mullioned windows, some with transoms.
Twin-gabled, 3-storey rear has blocked or sashed 2-light mullioned windows and
cross windows; low-pitched 2-span roof.
One-storey, 2-bay c.1880 addition, on left of hall block, has sashes and a
Interior: ground-floor hall (now kitchen and passage) has c.1550 chamfered
oak beams with Flamboyant carving and cyphers referring to Ralph Tailbois.
Early C18 panelling in ground-floor room at right. Mid C17 open-well staircase
with closed string, bold turned balusters and moulded handrail; possibly late
C17 columnar newel posts linking flights. First-floor subdivided bedroom has
damaged late C16 plaster ceiling with intersecting ribs, fleurs-de-lys, shells
and the Tailbois coat of arms. Front attic has plaster floor, studded partition
wall and Tudor-arched wood door lintel with initials of Ralph Tailbois.
Late C19 single-storey wing on left of front range is not of special interest.
(G.A. Fothergill, "Thornton Hall", Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries
of Newcastle-on-Tyne, Volume III, No. 3, 1908).
Listing NGR: NZ2381816991
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings