This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9855 / 51°59'7"N
Longitude: 0.7563 / 0°45'22"E
OS Eastings: 589363
OS Northings: 235481
OS Grid: TL893354
Mapcode National: GBR RKH.D1M
Mapcode Global: VHKFJ.2C48
Entry Name: Chesnut House
Listing Date: 12 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122851
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114844
Location: Lamarsh, Braintree, Essex, CO8
Civil Parish: Lamarsh
Built-Up Area: Lamarsh
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Lamarsh Holy Innocents
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 83 NE
2/55 Chestnut House
House. Late C16, extended in C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
mainly with handmade red clay tiles, partly with corrugated red clay tiles, C19.
3 bays facing S with axial chimney stack at right end, and C19 external stack at
left end. C17 extension of one bay to right with axial chimney stack at end.
Lean-to extensions behind each end, forming catslide roofs, and small flat-
roofed extension between them. 2 storeys with attics. 6-panel door with open
pediment, late C18, 3 C20 casements with rectangular leaded panes, and 5 more on
first floor. Pierced and scalloped ridge tiles, C19. The interior has jowled
posts, arched bracing trenched inside heavy studs, step stops on all original
posts and axial beam in W bay, step stops with chevron carving on transverse
beam in middle. One original window of 2 lights with ovolo mouldings survives
within the NW extension. Axial beam with lamb's tongue stops in E extension.
Clasped purlin roof. In the W attic gable there is a C17 window of 2 diamond-
leaded lights, with some early glass. The main hearth has a cast iron fireback
with the arms of Charles II, dated 1664. RCHM 11.
Listing NGR: TL8936335481
Other nearby listed buildings