This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9883 / 51°59'17"N
Longitude: 0.5968 / 0°35'48"E
OS Eastings: 578405
OS Northings: 235390
OS Grid: TL784353
Mapcode National: GBR QHY.7QK
Mapcode Global: VHJHZ.99C3
Entry Name: Castle Hedingham United Reform Church
Listing Date: 15 October 1984
Last Amended: 18 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1122952
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114603
Location: Castle Hedingham, Braintree, Essex, CO9
Civil Parish: Castle Hedingham
Built-Up Area: Castle Hedingham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Castle Hedingham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 73 NE
Castle Headington United Reform Church
(Formerly listed as: QUEEN STREET (WEST SIDE) Congregational Chapel)
Chapel. Circa 1842, possibly by James Fenton, replacing an earlier building of 1708. Classical building of gault brick with stone dressings and grey slate roof. 2 storeys. 7 bays. The central 5 bays break forward with pediment, projecting eaves with moulded cornice, pilasters to right and left, and 3 forward centre bays. Central stone band. 1:1:3:1:1 window range to first floor, 1:3:1 window range to ground floor, small paned with glazed margins and gauged brick arches. First floor with semi-circular moulded stone heads and moulded stone labels to right and left windows. Two-panelled double doors with glazed margin lights over, stone pilasters with capitals and plain friezes to right and left of central bays. Semi-circular louvre to pediment. Side elevations have a front projecting bay with blank round-headed window and three further bays with round-headed windows to galleries and cambered headed windows below. Interior retains C18 pulpit from which Dr Isaac Watts is said to have preached, probably from the earlier chapel, but otherwise is almost entirely of 1842. Galleries on three sides, supported on slender cast iron columns and an unusually complete set of box pews to galleries and main body of the chapel. The front row centre pews were cut away to insert a later C19 wooden enclosure in front of the pulpit. Plaster ceiling rose and four circular ventilation holes. Three marble wall tablets of 1822, 1836 and 1883.
Listing NGR: TL7840535390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings