This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8719 / 51°52'18"N
Longitude: 0.6861 / 0°41'9"E
OS Eastings: 585011
OS Northings: 222663
OS Grid: TL850226
Mapcode National: GBR QKF.L8X
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V61W
Entry Name: Old House
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Last Amended: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123099
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116222
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL STONEHAM STREET
9/191 Nos. 8 and 10 (Old
2.5.53 House) (formerly
listed as Premises 50
yds north of junction
of Church Street and
House. Circa 1500 or earlier and c.1600, altered in C19 and C20. Timber
framed, plastered with exposed framing and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade
red plain tiles. 2-bay main range facing SW with stack to rear of left bay,
c.1600 and later stack to rear of right bay. 3-bay service crosswing to left,
c.1500 or earlier, surviving from former hall house on site of present main
range. C17 4-bay single-storey wing to rear of left stack, partly painted
brick, partly weatherboarded, and C20 single-storey lean-to extension to rear of
right stack. 2 storeys and unlit attic. Ground floor, 3 splayed bays of early
C19 sashes of 1+2, 5+10 and 1+2 lights; one C20 sash; and at right end, one
original window with 2 ovolo mullions and 3 diamond saddle bars, with C20
rectangular leaded glazing. First floor, 3 early C19 sashes of 10+10 lights.
C20 part-glazed door. Full-length jetty with early C19 moulded wooden fascia.
Bay posts and (partly replacement) studding exposed at front, plastered and
weatherboarded elsewhere. The 4-bay rear wing has on each side one C19 Gothick
casement with tracery, and at the rear 2 double Gothick casements with tracery,
top-hung. The crosswing has plain joists of horizontal section arranged
longitudinally in the front 2 bays, laterally in the rear bay. Mortices and
wattle grooves for missing partitions between the 2 front bays, and at the right
side. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in left crosswing. Cambered tiebeam with
one of 2 chamfered arched braces, and incomplete crownpost roof, originally
gabled at the front, altered to a hip to align with the roof of the main range.
The main range has chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops and plain
joists of vertical section over both storeys. The original window has some red
paint, probably original. 2 C20 grate on ground floor, one C17 wood-burning
hearth on first floor, disused. At the right end of the ground floor is an
original plank and muntin partition of oak, a rare feature meriting special
care. Original rebated hardwood floorboards in attic. Butt-purlin roof,
re-using many smoke-blackened rafters from a medieval hall, probably from the
earlier house on the same site. Formerly The Black Horse Public House and later
The Locomotive (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 34, and Essex
Record Office, B.2981). RCHM 42.
Listing NGR: TL8501022668
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings